Question Constant BSoD, freezes, bootloops, overheated GPU

Franko8D

Commendable
Mar 24, 2017
Hello, this is my first thread of this kind in the forum, and I feel very, very irritated. My laptop y510p is getting constant errors right now. It started right after breaking the ‘S’ key, which I place again with double sided tape. The button works, but it needs stronger pressing. Anyway, let's go.
  • BSoD with lots of various stopcodes (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED etc.). It can appear randomly, often while playing Warframe. The weirdest thing is, laptop can sometimes stuck before / after reaching 100%, so I need to shut it down. BSoDs appear randomly, even when system boots. It happens that I can't see the text because of fast reboot...
  • Bootloops, which are long, at least few minutes before booting successfully. After sudden shutdown, I need to wait few minutes in order to boot the OS.
  • After few reboots, it turns out that system is failed to launch ("Recovery" blue screen with few files, such as ntoskrnl.exe or winload.exe). At first I thought OS was certainly corrupted, but I tried to boot it few times and it launched normally.
Tried these solutions:
  • reinstall drivers
  • reinstall system, even after formatting the disk. I lost the recovery partition btw.
  • updating BIOS
  • underclock GPU/CPU via MSI Afterburner and Intel Extreme Utility
I tested my RAM via few programs: memtest64, Lenovo Diagnostic Windows and Windows Memory Management. Each of them informed me about errors, WMM told me that it was a hardware issue. Is it possible that I somehow damaged the RAM by just pressing broken button?
Maybe. But it’s not the end. I decided to check the hardware. Ultrabay is hardly unremovable, you need to use a screwdriver to put it out. With my dad's help, I removed the back cover. Reinserted one of RAM stick. My laptop is out of warranty right now, what should I do?
Here are - for sure - laptop’s specs.
  • Manufacturer: Lenovo
  • Model: y510p
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 MHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI
  • SSD: 240GB
  • RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Maybe you'll give me some advice when you check these files: Lenovo Diagnostics, Minidump files. Please, I really need help.

Last edited:
You need to replace the RAM first, because all the RAM diagnostic software tell the RAM has problem.

After RAM replacement, if you still have the RAM problem, which maybe your MB is going to die. If you have other problem, please post it again.

When you buy the RAM, use the memory finder, something like this from Crucial

Last edited:
Reactions: Franko8D

Franko8D

Commendable
Mar 24, 2017
Thank you for reply. Yeah, it's RAM issue - after reinserting one stick, the laptop stutters, GPU heats to 60-70 degrees even at desktop, and the fan is loud. There are delays in displaying stuff, like YouTube, opening apps etc. Although, BSoD don't appear more. Gonna try few tests with each RAM stick.

Last edited: