Constant BSOD ntoskrnl.exe

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Hey guys,

I've been having issues with my computer for a year now. I keep getting BSODs and I have tried everything (incl. reformat). Nothing seems to work.

Things I've tried:
- Updated drivers,
- Disabled wireless device (did this recently after seeing some bcmwl63a.sys bsod, now the dumps seems to only come back with ntoskrnl.exe errors)
- I also did a memtest (after seeing most of the bsod address originates from fffff801-fffff803) and results came back fine, no errors.

I'm uploading my DMPs here

Date timestamps are accurate, hopefully someone can help me pin point the issue.

gardenman

Splendid
No replies yet? I'm no expert at reading these things, but as I look it over, 2 lines stick out to me.

PROCESS_NAME: strwinclt.exe
and
PROCESS_NAME: WildStar.exe

That appears to be something called Splashtop and a game called WildStar. That doesn't mean those programs actually caused the BSOD, but it's possible. Look for any updates to them.

BSODs are difficult to figure out as most of the time it's either hardware failing or a buggy driver failing. You can also try updating your video card drivers if you don't have the latest version.

If this doesn't fix the BSODs, maybe it will at least reduce the number of BSODs.

After updating those 3 things (if possible), upload 5 to 6 new crash dumps if you are still having a problem and I'll look over them again (of if we are lucky someone else can help).

Colif

Win 11 Master
exception double fault? are we playing tennis here? :)

1st error just mentions DWM.exe which is the desktop windows manager so that is not helpful
2nd is indeed strwinclt.exe which is Splashtop Remote Client as mentioned above - this might be lan drivers
wildstar.exe = WildStar is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. In WildStar, players are able to create a character that they can control through their playing session. These characters can move in an open, persistent world environment. WildStar uses a system of telegraphs for combat, where zones are displayed on the ground, allowing a player to predict attacks of enemies and heals of allies. The game takes place in a fictional universe on the recently discovered planet of Nexus. - Read more at http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/WildStar-68154-program.aspx

I don't think game was cause, it was just what crashed.

2 errors just blame Service host which is really unlikely.

see if this helps with some
open command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

@ Gardenman, you did a good job, you can't expect someone to always look at threads as most don't once someone is helping :)

Update the BIOS

There are many different BSODs, often related to unknown hardware problems.

- Disabled wireless device (did this recently after seeing some bcmwl63a.sys bsod, now the dumps seems to only come back with ntoskrnl.exe errors)
That would be due to your security program, Bitdefender, temporary remove it and use Windows Defender as alternative.

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Thanks, I'll update my BIOS and report on findings. Can you expand a bit about what you mean by that part about bitdefender temporary removing it? How did this cause a BSOD?

Thanks, I'm running these commands now and will provide further observations.

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Update:

sfc /scannow finished with no issues

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth finished and image restored successfully.

Other steps performed
- BIOS update
- Drivers update (drivers updated were ones related to the motherboard https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-7.html#down-driver&Win10 64)
- Skipped installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Intel Management Engine Driver

Will keep observing and see if I continue getting BSODs

Multiple dumps show entries in the raw stack of TCPIP and 1 of them mentions a network driver and a few other drivers including from Bitdefender.
Besides, when NETIO, TCPIP or other Windows network drivers are seen in the stack it is often security programs, VPN or other programs that access the internet (like VMware) that are the cause of the dumps wherein they're seen.

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Update:
1 more BSOD after performing troubleshooting steps. The dump can be found here

Thanks I'll try uninstalling bitdefender and see what happens.

Lets see what the result is with Bitdefender removed.
ffffc080`2e25a028 fffff801`d03153a0 tcpip!gAleNullSid
ffffc080`2e25a088 fffff801`d015bf01 tcpip!TcpTcbProcessCarefulCumulativeAcknowledgement+0x5
ffffc080`2e25a378 fffff801`cf4e01b8 NETIO!StreamProcessCallout+0x3a4

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Latest dump here. This was after removing bitdefender. It was more specific this time complaining about NETIO.sys.

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

I already have the latest Killer Network Drivers. One more BSOD happened again hopefully this gives more information here

I really appreciate everyone's help here btw...

One more thing I'm thinking of doing is uninstalling ASUS PCE-A68 drivers and removing the card from the mobo, I don't know why but I have a feeling this card maybe causing it (I did try disabling the device though). I have no need for this device any longer.

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

I tried installing an older version of the driver based on this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/47kw5a/psa_solution_to_asus_pceac68_being_buggy_on/

No luck however, latest BSOD dump is here. Now win32k.sys is included in the error.

Please keep the dumps in 1 folder

0x3B 00000000c0000005, memory access violation
0x3B 00000000c000001d, attempt to execute illegal instructions
0x7F 0000000000000008, double fault exception
0x139 0000000000000002, stack-based buffer overrun
0x1E 00000000c0000005, memory access violation

What memtest did you run and for how long/many passes?

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

I ran this http://www.memtest86.com/
I used default settings.

I'll move all my dumps to one folder here

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

I have it running for awhile now, and doesn't seem like there's any errors, should I let it keep running?

Results

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Reseated RAM, removed WIFI card. Will continue observing. Thanks!

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Unfortunately, just got another bluescreen the dump is in this folder named 061217-10156-01.dmp.

Folder

Yen Han Shih

Reputable
May 9, 2014

1. When rebooting computer into clean boot, a BSOD occured right after log off. QUOTA_UNDERFLOW was the exception.
Dump
2. Clean boot turned on without BSOD.
3. Running driver verifier in windows right now and monitoring status in CMD. How long should I run it for?