Question Constant BSOD on well functioning PC without any previous issues.

giorgosfil13

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
So... the last couple of days a got occasional BSOD during the day. Maybe two per day. At first, I ignored it, but the next day it happened also. I figured that it could be the latest windows update. I tried recovering an old image but it failed. I was able to boot into windows and uninstall the update. The issue with the BSOD continued so it wasn't windows' fault.

The issue became worse. After booting and logging into windows it crashed with a BSOD. Sometimes immediately, some times after 5 minutes.

I tried repairing startup, it BSOD'd.

Then I tried to boot from USB that I had installed windows on this PC 6 months ago. I got BSOD.

I updated BIOS. Still the same BSOD crashes.

I figured that it was a hardware issue. So i opened up my case and tried checking RAMs first. Single ram check, changed the DIMM, BSOD. I isolated the rest of the system from my 2 ssd's by unplugging them and trying to boot to USB; got the same BSODs. Got rid of my Graphics Card and used the on board HDMI for display, i still got BSOD. Resitted all the power cables, still BSOD. Cleared CMOS, nothing changed.

So, I believe it's something wrong with the motherboard, or the CPU. I don't believe it's the power supply.

The BSOD errors I got were different almost every time, but there was one from those 10 errors that appeared:

kmode_exception_not_handled

kmode_exception_not_handled

irql_not_less_or_equal

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

system_thread_exception_not_handled

acpi.sys

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

driver_overran_stack_buffer

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

interrupt_exception_not_handled

0xc0000021a

My build:
i9 9900k
Asus Rog Strix z390-e
G.Skill Tridentz 8GB x2 3200Mhz
EVGA RTX 2080
750 Watt Power Supply

No OC. Everything on default values.

If you have any ideas as to what the hell is going on fell free to post. From the little research I've done, it seems people who have similar issues with me it's caused by the CPU.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
they look like driver errors to me

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

giorgosfil13

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
they look like driver errors to me

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Unfortunately, I can't even get the PC to work now. The BSODs are occurring every time windows tries to load or is loaded for 10-20 seconds. I found a thread with a person having similar problems with me and he and some others claim to be the CPU.

As I said, im not sure. I've never had a faulty CPU before. But it's either CPU or MB for me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you get to the login screen?
if so, click the power button in bottom right
while holding left shift key, click restart button

this will restart windows in advanced startup
lets see if it crashes in safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

how long does it last here?

is there anything on PC you want to save?
get into advanced startup again,
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

i feel if it was CPU you would crash faster, or not boot at all.
you could follow this to make a bootable version of Prime95 to test CPU without windows.
edit... i forgot the link: https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Last edited: