[SOLVED] Constant bsod

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
So I’ve done one post like this but it’s gotten worse as time went on. I’m getting at very least 1-2 bsod a week, now When I updated the Microsoft visual redistribution’s it is crashing constantly. I had to get rid of the x86 one because it kept crashing too thinking it would fix it, now it can barley load the os before it crashes. Between that and the constant crashing of games I’ve just about had it with this computer and am tempted to throw it out the window. I’ve checked drivers the best that I can, windows up to date as best as I can, only thing I’ve changed is visual redistribution’s and I’m worried if I redownload the x86 version I’ll continue to crash. Sfc comes back with no errors either. I’ve done multiple reinstalls of windows too. As I said I’ve almost had it with this computer.
2400g b350 gtx 1060 6 fb 8 gigs 3200 ram 1 120 pny ssd and 1 1tb hdd wd blue. 600b psu.

Solution
So I ran memtest for 4 passes each with only one stick in the same slot and no errors. I’m gonna try it in another slot just to make sure. I’m wondering now if it could be my motherboard.
Try inserting only one RAM stick into the one slot you tested, and boot into Windows. If it works, use the same RAM stick in a different slot and try booting into Windows. If one of the slots is not working, you shouldn't be able to get into Windows when the RAM stick is in that slot.
So I’ve done one post like this but it’s gotten worse as time went on. I’m getting at very least 1-2 bsod a week, now When I updated the Microsoft visual redistribution’s it is crashing constantly. I had to get rid of the x86 one because it kept crashing too thinking it would fix it, now it can barley load the os before it crashes. Between that and the constant crashing of games I’ve just about had it with this computer and am tempted to throw it out the window. I’ve checked drivers the best that I can, windows up to date as best as I can, only thing I’ve changed is visual redistribution’s and I’m worried if I redownload the x86 version I’ll continue to crash. Sfc comes back with no errors either. I’ve done multiple reinstalls of windows too. As I said I’ve almost had it with this computer.
2400g b350 gtx 1060 6 fb 8 gigs 3200 ram 1 120 pny ssd and 1 1tb hdd wd blue. 600b psu.
You have a very poor quality PSU, and this could be the reason for the crashes. RAM could also be the problem. It seems your issue is not software related, except maybe at the BIOS level. But your OS, drivers, etc. have been checked by you, it seems. I would suggest starting with a CMOS reset, then try a BIOS update, then a memtest86 (you can't run memtest64, a better version of memtest, because it requires you to have a stable system in Windows. Your system sounds like it can't stay in Windows for too long, so you should do memtest86, which has to be put on a USB drive and you boot straight into the memtest rather than Windows). If neither of these work, and you don't get any errors in 2-3 passes of memtest, then I would suggest getting a better quality PSU, like a Corsair CX550.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
You have a very poor quality PSU, and this could be the reason for the crashes. RAM could also be the problem. It seems your issue is not software related, except maybe at the BIOS level. But your OS, drivers, etc. have been checked by you, it seems. I would suggest starting with a CMOS reset, then try a BIOS update, then a memtest86 (you can't run memtest64, a better version of memtest, because it requires you to have a stable system in Windows. Your system sounds like it can't stay in Windows for too long, so you should do memtest86, which has to be put on a USB drive and you boot straight into the memtest rather than Windows). If neither of these work, and you don't get any errors in 2-3 passes of memtest, then I would suggest getting a better quality PSU, like a Corsair CX550.
Should I try to download the x86 visual drivers since technically their not their anymore? That’s the only thing that I was messing with windows wise. As for memory it’s possible it has errors but I’ve been using it for almost 2 years now and has worked fine when it works, before I posted this I was gaming just fine then it kept crashing giving different windows system errors. Ran sfc and no comeback. I know the psu isn’t the best but it can’t be the worst either right? It is 80plus bronze. I’ll have to look at the bios and make sure I write down any changes I’ve made so I can make them again. I haven’t touched bios much.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
So I ran memtest86 and not even through one pass it’s saying it’s got over 250 errors, not sure if I did it right though as it’s saying cpu:1-8. Could this be the reason for my crashing? My next question is I had gotten two different sets of 16 gig vengeance and both came back with thousands of errors, could something else be messed up on the system? I know it’s rare for memory to go bad but if I’ve had 3 separate sets go bad something seems fishy.

So I ran memtest86 and not even through one pass it’s saying it’s got over 250 errors, not sure if I did it right though as it’s saying cpu:1-8. Could this be the reason for my crashing? My next question is I had gotten two different sets of 16 gig vengeance and both came back with thousands of errors, could something else be messed up on the system? I know it’s rare for memory to go bad but if I’ve had 3 separate sets go bad something seems fishy.
Are the other kits you tested known to be good/functional? If yes, then the problem might be the motherboard RAM slots rather than the RAM itself, and maybe even the CPU. If your motherboard has 4 RAM slots, try putting a single stick of RAM into each slot one at a time, and then running the memtest. Memtest is supposed to come back with 0 errors, so if you even get a single error you can stop right there.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Are the other kits you tested known to be good/functional? If yes, then the problem might be the motherboard RAM slots rather than the RAM itself, and maybe even the CPU. If your motherboard has 4 RAM slots, try putting a single stick of RAM into each slot one at a time, and then running the memtest. Memtest is supposed to come back with 0 errors, so if you even get a single error you can stop right there.
They were both Corsair kits, I got rma for one and both came back with errors. This was a few months back however but still. I’ll try the one stick at a time to see but it still doesn’t quite rule out a bad slot or so. I don’t know if it’s the cpu but on memtest it says cpu: 1-8 with 286 errors

They were both Corsair kits, I got rma for one and both came back with errors. This was a few months back however but still. I’ll try the one stick at a time to see but it still doesn’t quite rule out a bad slot or so. I don’t know if it’s the cpu but on memtest it says cpu: 1-8 with 286 errors
No way to know if it's the CPU, memtest doesn't test CPU at all, the CPU 1-8 are probably just which thread/core encountered the error.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
No way to know if it's the CPU, memtest doesn't test CPU at all, the CPU 1-8 are probably just which thread/core encountered the error.
That’s what I’m thinking too. I’ll try one stick at a time in each of the 4 slots to see. Annoying part is I don’t have spare cash to get a new kit if there are bad. I’m wondering if the board is bad because when I tried the two other kits a few months back they came back with thousands of errors in seconds.

That’s what I’m thinking too. I’ll try one stick at a time in each of the 4 slots to see. Annoying part is I don’t have spare cash to get a new kit if there are bad. I’m wondering if the board is bad because when I tried the two other kits a few months back they came back with thousands of errors in seconds.
It could be, but there's no way to be 100% sure except to either try your RAM in a different PC or get a new board.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
since this is a apu remove gpu use onboard and 1 ram module also disconnect the hdd keep only the ssd with os on test it after try to use another sata cable form ssd to board .
Using memtest? I’ve ran several hdd checks on both and both came back good, ran external software to check drives too and came back clean. I’m wondering if my board is going bad causing memory to not work properly and crashes.

So I ran memtest for 4 passes each with only one stick in the same slot and no errors. I’m gonna try it in another slot just to make sure. I’m wondering now if it could be my motherboard.
Try inserting only one RAM stick into the one slot you tested, and boot into Windows. If it works, use the same RAM stick in a different slot and try booting into Windows. If one of the slots is not working, you shouldn't be able to get into Windows when the RAM stick is in that slot.

Solution