Question Constant BSOD

Aug 18, 2022
Okay so I have been battling this thing for a few months now. It started with replacing GPU and the problem persisted. Then I replaced the mobo because I took it into a shop and the guy said it had a bad memory chipset and the problem persisted. Now I have replaced the cpu with another i7-10700 and I am still getting a BSOD. When I try to reset the pc, it tells me that it is not able to. I try running sfc /scannow and it tells me "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I tried running a DISM command and it says it does not support servicing windows PE with the /online option.

So now the mobo, gpu, and cpu have all been replaced. Tried with one stick of ram and it still blue screened. Tried with the other stick and it would still blue screen. BSOD error code is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Where the hell am I going wrong? I am getting defeated by this damn thing and I dont understand why.

Im gonna be honest. I dont care if your idea is way out in left field or many steps. I am willing to do whatever to get this thing to working again.

PC Specs:
Cpu: i7-10700
Mobo: MSI B460 Tomahawk
GPU: EVGA RTX3070
RAM: Corsair 2x16gb
PSU: EVGA 850GA
Corsair watercooler

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It started with replacing GPU

If the issues started after getting new GPU, then new GPU would be the issue.

Have you tried with 2nd, known to work GPU? Or you could pull the RTX 3070 out of your system and plug your monitor to your MoBo, running off from iGPU inside CPU.

And why replace MoBo and CPU, when those were (and most likely still are) working fine? :unsure:

Aug 18, 2022
If the issues started after getting new GPU, then new GPU would be the issue.

Have you tried with 2nd, known to work GPU? Or you could pull the RTX 3070 out of your system and plug your monitor to your MoBo, running off from iGPU inside CPU.

And why replace MoBo and CPU, when those were (and most likely still are) working fine? :unsure:

My bad, I worded that poorly. It started happening before I replaced the GPU. I thought it was the GPU because it would only happen while a game was being played.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
BSoD points towards software issue. Easiest fix would be clean Win install, where you format your OS drive beforehand. Downside is loosing personal data on OS drive.

Also, when you can boot into OS, CPU and MoBo are fine. So, why replace them?

Aug 18, 2022
BSoD points towards software issue. Easiest fix would be clean Win install, where you format your OS drive beforehand. Downside is loosing personal data on OS drive.

Also, when you can boot into OS, CPU and MoBo are fine. So, why replace them?
Before I replaced the mobo and the cpu, I have a guy at a reputable computer shop look at it and he said that his guess was a memory chipset was bad because it was not creating a dump file when it would crash. So I RMA the mobo hoping it would fix it and it did not. Everytime I would turn it on, it go worse and worse. It got to the point I could not even boot into OS and it would immediatly give BSOD.

So I talked to a few guys I know and they said to RMA the CPU since it was still under warrenty. Now that it is in, I still am having a problem. I just tried to boot windows from a USB and I am getting an error saying windows cannot install required files. Error code: 0x800701B1. Now I am beginning to wonder if my SSD went bad or has a corrupted file on it. But if it has a corrupted file, I would still be able to install a new version of windows correct?

Also, when I tried to reinstall windows from a local drive, it basically told me that it can not do that. Am I logical in thinking it may be the SSD?

I am not worried about losing any files. Theres nothing on the SSD except for applications. Nothing of importance

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Now I am beginning to wonder if my SSD went bad or has a corrupted file on it. But if it has a corrupted file, I would still be able to install a new version of windows correct?

Formatting the drive will wipe all corrupted files from it and essentially returning it into new drive state, with nothing on.

Now, what might have happened, is that a cell or two within SSD failed, which contained part of the boot loader, among other system files, hence why you had BSoDs and now, can't boot to OS.

Also, when I tried to reinstall windows from a local drive, it basically told me that it can not do that. Am I logical in thinking it may be the SSD?

Could be. Also, impossible to know, until you try with 2nd drive. If 2nd drive works fine, OS installs, you can boot, and no more BSoD, then issue most likely was with old SSD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
PC Specs:
Cpu: i7-10700
Mobo: MSI B460 Tomahawk
GPU: EVGA RTX3070
RAM: Corsair 2x16gb
PSU: EVGA 850GA
Corsair watercooler

what haven't you replaced?

WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture.
Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
Can be any hardware.

WHEA errors tend to survive clean installs.

if SSD is not recording Dump files, and now won't play nice, it could have been the problem all along