[SOLVED] Constant BSOD's after installing new RAM. Possible reasons?

davidbozovic1

Honorable
Aug 29, 2017
Hello. These are my PC specs :
Asus a320m-k Prime motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600
8gb Ram (3200 mhz but I'm using it on 2133)

My first ram used to be an ADATA 2400Mhz CL17 ram, which was quite stable and worked just fine. I got a wish to buy a faster ram, so I bought a GEIL ORION AMD Edition 3200Mhz Cl16 8GB ( GAOG48GB3200C16ASC). Once I installed the RAM I had quite a bit of trouble running at its max speed, mainly PC not being able to boot, then PC freezing and crashing when I would underclock it to 2933 and 2666. Then I underclocked it to 2400 and it worked okay except for the fact that I was often getting BSOD's with stop codes : MEMORY MANAGEMENT, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and most recent ( I only got it once) DRVER POWER STATE FAILURE.

This usually happens every day but sometimes I manage to make 2-3 days before the PC crashes. Initially I thought that it was a faulty RAM, but now I'm thinking that it could also be the motherboard, because this is the weakest AMD chip, and the motherboard at first wasn't even designed for this CPU by default, I am really not a hardware guy.

I have moved the RAM from the A1 slot to B1 slot. So far it is working fine ( at the factory default settings).

What do you think might be the case? Any help would be appreciated, it is extremely annoying when you get a BSOD in a middle of your work.

Solution
RAM in A1. BIOS needs to be updated. New RAM = need new memory compatibility BIOS updates sometimes.

The board supports 3200MHz. The CPU supports 2933MHz easily and maybe not 3200MHz using XMP depending if your RAM is on the motherboard QVL and/or it's on the RAM motherboard compatibility list. If it is the XMP profile should stick at 3200MHz with the RAM in A1 and the BIOS updated.

If it's not that RAM isn't playing well with your A320M-K motherboard. If you can't even use the XMP profile at 2666MHz there is something wrong.
Run memtest on it overnight and see if you have any errors. If you do, swap in your old memory and test that too. If both have errors, mb is a possibility. If only your new one does, probably bad. If no errors, it's something else and I would boot a linux live cd/usb and stress the system there and see if it crashes.

davidbozovic1

Honorable
Aug 29, 2017
I have forgot to mention, I have run memtest twice while it was on A1 and it showed no errors both times, funny. As for the compatibility, there are a bunch of GEIL's on the list, mine not included. Still, the BIOS recognizes it and shows the correct overclock settings. Day 3 since I am running it on B1 slot on AUTO settings ( the 2133 stock settings) and no issues so far.

I am too skeptical to risk pumping up the voltage and speed, although I heard overclocking memory is relatively safe.

As for the linux live, I am going to try that and see what the results are going to be.

RAM in A1. BIOS needs to be updated. New RAM = need new memory compatibility BIOS updates sometimes.

The board supports 3200MHz. The CPU supports 2933MHz easily and maybe not 3200MHz using XMP depending if your RAM is on the motherboard QVL and/or it's on the RAM motherboard compatibility list. If it is the XMP profile should stick at 3200MHz with the RAM in A1 and the BIOS updated.

If it's not that RAM isn't playing well with your A320M-K motherboard. If you can't even use the XMP profile at 2666MHz there is something wrong.

Solution

davidbozovic1

Honorable
Aug 29, 2017
I tried 2933 Mhz, PC would freeze after signing into Windows. BIOS updated to the latest version. On 3200 PC just straight up wouldn't boot ever. Anything under 2933 Mhz would give me the usual BSOD's.