CONSTANT BSOD's! HELP PLEASE

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Hey guys, I have a custom built computer, about 5 years old. I recently put a heat sink on because my old heat sink didn't work, causing my computer to run at 100 degrees celsius. I'm pretty positive that everything is installed correctly. However, while trying to find out why my computer was running hot, my friend messed with my drivers, and ever since I have had blue screens. And it's steadily getting worse. It's so bad that right now I can't even turn on my machine. I have tried a few different things, ran malwarebytes, little registry optimizer, Microsoft security essentials, etc. However, my machine just keeps getting worse and worse.

I have had codes such as.
Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
Bad Pool Header
IRQL Not Less or Equal
Driver Irql not or less equal
Memory Management

My newest constant BSOD is System service exception

Solution
1) Since you waited so long (not immediate fix the first detected overheat) to do something your CPU can be warped / damaged already, so it may not just be a Windows issue (take this into consideration).
2) As your computer is so old, and had overheating IN the case would affect the HDD as well. Potentially the HDD could be failing as well, and again may not be just a Windows issue (take this into consideration).
3) Your at the end of life on it already (consumer PCs are normally only for 5 years before wear and tear / tech changed so much they need to be replaced). It would be cheaper to just replace the system since a new PC (laptops too) are only $300 or so at Walmart even for a i5 Core.
4) You can try to boot from BIOS to your...

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
My friend gave me a windows disc that would reset the master boot, he said it is a possible solution. I did it around 6pm, and all through the night (until like 4am when I logged off) it was fine. But the next day, it didn't work. I ran the disc, and typed in bcd commands to rebuild the bcd. That's the only thing I've done with windows thus far. As to the driver verifier. I tried this before, but didn't understand the whole process. I did do the driver verifier, but I don't know what exactly it does, so I don't know what to do after clicking the drivers other then microsoft, restarting, and then what. So I decided to disable it. The problem is getting worse and worse, and I don't know what to do. I really don't want to buy a new machine. My friend says if it crashes in Safe Mode, then it should be easier to fix because that means it's not a 3rd party driver. I was hoping you guys could help.

1) Since you waited so long (not immediate fix the first detected overheat) to do something your CPU can be warped / damaged already, so it may not just be a Windows issue (take this into consideration).
2) As your computer is so old, and had overheating IN the case would affect the HDD as well. Potentially the HDD could be failing as well, and again may not be just a Windows issue (take this into consideration).
3) Your at the end of life on it already (consumer PCs are normally only for 5 years before wear and tear / tech changed so much they need to be replaced). It would be cheaper to just replace the system since a new PC (laptops too) are only $300 or so at Walmart even for a i5 Core.
4) You can try to boot from BIOS to your Windows DVD and try to reimage it, but most likely you have lost all your data / programs/ files / etc. anyway.

Solution

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Ok guys so I decided to reinstall windows. Computer ran good for like 40 minutes and then blue screened. Last two digits were c2. Bad Pool Caller. So that makes me think its in the hardware. . .The problem is, where to start?

Well a bad pool caller is indicative to either the CPU or RAM. Either case a new CPU or more OLD memory that can live in this box and you would be already near the $300 for a new machine. They have dropped the price point now that computers are almost disposable (like your cell phone) and much more expensive to upgrade then just 'replace'.

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for all your help thus far Tom! So I decided to do a chkdsk test, and it blue screened during that. It was a 3D last two digit code, and said, Interrupt exception not handled. Is this any more of an indication of what the problem is? Thanks so much in advance! :)

Okay that nails it back to #2 as I suggested, the HDD is old enough to be failing now (wear and tear) and you just put it through some major wear and tear and it BSOD (shouldn't during chkdsk at all). So I would go option #3 since a new HDD is $129 anyway (new computer $300) and you don't know the status of the other parts that may lead to more additional costs over a new computer (not a godo Return on Investment).

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks again for your response Tom! The problem is, I'm into gaming, so I won't be spending only $300 for a computer. Most likely, I will spend around $650-$750. Therefore, if the fix will only cost around $100, it will most likely be worth it. The problem is, I don't want to spend it and it end up being a totally different problem, you know? Thanks again in advance!

Okay here is what you can do, you get a baseline like a i5Core Generic Desktop (I prefer laptops myself) for around $300 from Walmart/shop online. You now have a whole upto date computer, plenty of storage (500G) probably 4-8GB Ram, and everything under warranty. Now upgrade the PSU to a 500W or better ($99 or so) and then add the video card your eyeing ($100+) and you will have a 'gaming rig' capable of High settings but you have all the warranty no worries about the OS, etc and be able to stretch the puppy for about 5 years anyway.

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Would you mind giving me your input on this? I bought my current computer from Ibuypower.com , seems to be a well known gaming site. Would you mind running of these specs and tell me what you think?

Case
AZZA Armour Gaming Case - Blue
Processor
AMD A6-6400K APU (2x 3.90GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
Processor Cooling
Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory
8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 4GB
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H
Power Supply
430 Watt - Corsair CX430 V2
Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive
24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System
None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty Service

Price $617 USD

My problems with the rig: No OS so you need to add $179+ to the Price for a NEW copy of Windows
430W power supply is low, I would recommend normally no less then a 500W.
AMD CPU: I am not a fanboy but EVERY measurable test I seen shows the fastest CPu out of AMD is always below a Intel i5 Core which is the MINIMUM for a gaming rig (I prefer a i7).

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I can't say enough thank you for responding to me! :)

I agree with that power supply, the site recommended me 300 Power Watt, and I thought that was crazy. In my current computer I have a 700 lol. Good catch on the No OS. The problem I have with intel is that they are very expensive. I understand that they are good products, however when your a college student, you want to spend just enough to get by haha.

On another note, I am currently running Chkdsk on my computer, on Step 5/5. I will post the details, if it doesn't crash before ending :p/

Thanks again! :)

Could do the cheapy way I seen. Go to Walmart, get a new PC for $300 including i5 Cores (so you get your big HDD, OS, etc.) then replace the PSU then the GPU and your golden. Easily save that way then piecemeal since the components are relatively the same unless your looking for specifics (low latency on memory so you want Cosair for example).

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Well most likely that is what I'll do because I can't be completely sure what the problem is I guess. I ran a complete chkdsk last night, but was unable to find the logs. I went to event viewer, applications, checked winlogin, wininit, and looked for chkdsk. Didn't find anything. Winlogin or whatever just had something in it called Operational, just like every other category on Event Viewer --> Applications. I couldn't find a .txt file to show me the full report. When the test finished, it quickly restarted, the only thing I saw was 0 bad sectors. There was a lot more information that I couldn't read in time though ;(.

I looked at walmart and the cheapest i5 I could find aws $400.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Black-Pavilion-p7-1423w-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i5-2320-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8-Operating-System-Monito/24058830

Thanks again for your responses!

EDIT: Also, I HATE Windows 8 with a passion :p Windows 7 is preferred :)

Yeah no logs you run it in the CMD window and that is it, you keep monitoring to see what it says. Yes I agree I hate 8 because it isn't on a tablet (on a tablet it makes sense, on a desktop it doesn't) but there is no options anymore for Windows 7 as MS pulled it from being sold retailed.

savithepk

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013