[SOLVED] Constant BSODS on Lenovo Y520-IKBN laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
UPDATE: Cleaning out the laptop (using compressed air/soccer pump) fixed the problem. Although there was little dust inside, I blew all the dust off of the motherboard and other components and dusted out the fans. And voila! The laptop was fully functioning, not a single BSOD in sight. 4 days so far and no problems yet.

This issue popped up suddenly and out of the blue about 2 weeks ago. I have since then installed a fresh copy of windows 10 TWICE from a USB. I just installed windows 10 again, and without having modified any settings, or having installed any apps, I am still getting the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD. Prior to a fresh install I was getting the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD and other which flashed by too quickly for me to comprehend.
I was forced to install a fresh copy of windows this time around due to corrupt system files, which windows was not able to repair. I ran Command prompt in the torubleshooter and tried:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBdc
etc.

None of these worked, and here I am, with a my second fresh install of windows and STILL getting the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD.
What I have tried so far is:
sfc /scannow
chkdsk

My laptop specs are:
i5 7300HQ
Gtx 1050ti 4GB
256GB Pcie SSD
8 GB RAM

I am beginning to suspect that this is a hardware issue, most likely the SSD or RAM.

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: Cleaning out the laptop (using compressed air/soccer pump) fixed the problem. Although there was little dust inside, I blew all the dust off of the motherboard and other components and dusted out the fans. And voila! The laptop was fully functioning, not a single BSOD in sight. 4 days so far and no problems yet.

I have some very promising news. I opened my laptop up and dusted out the fans with some air, and lightly brushed off air from all the components (using a football pump). I HAVE no idea how, but the issue has seemingly been resolved. Although I would rather not jump to conclusions, I think this thread may be over. I'll close the thread if the problem has truly been fixed and if this is not just a fluke.

The weird thing...

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
There is almost no question this was a hardware issue to begin with - if it occurs in safe mode, occurs during installations, and clean installs don't rectify it, it was almsot guaranteed to be hardware. It was my reasoning behind my last response that I doubted a third clean install will do anything, and why Colif has suggested all the hardware tests. As a comment though, are you performing clean installs by downloading a fresh ISO from Microsoft store each time?

A machine check error is usually a hardware error - whilst it's the CPU that reports them, it can technically be any piece of hardware.

Being as it can be any hardware - the test with another SSD would certainly confirm if the storage drive is the problem.
Were you running any overclock at all anywhere?
I have never overclocked, but about a year ago I tried to undervolt. Didn't need to any more so I stopped.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
I thought you might not have been seeing your replies :)

puzzling

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

since you still getting bsod, might as well see what they showing.

Reactions: ArhamAsam

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I thought you might not have been seeing your replies :)

puzzling

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

since you still getting bsod, might as well see what they showing.
Got it. Now I'll try to get some bsods :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't try, they will happen if they meant to.

after multiple reinstalls, it would have to be bad luck to be software now.

enough hardware errors to make trying a different ssd isn't still a bad idea, even if all the tests show its fine.

I would be tempted to contact Lenovo and see what they suggest. tell them you reinstalled X amount of times and still get BSOD, tell them what BSOD as well, and see what they say, the Laptop was only released late Sept 2017 so it might still be under warranty.

Last edited:

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Don't try, they will happen if they meant to.

after multiple reinstalls, it would have to be bad luck to be software now.

enough hardware errors to make trying a different ssd isn't still a bad idea, even if all the tests show its fine.

I would be tempted to contact Lenovo and see what they suggest. tell them you reinstalled X amount of times and still get BSOD, tell them what BSOD as well, and see what they say, the Laptop was only released late Sept 2017 so it might still be under warranty.
unfortunately, the laptop only came with a 1 year warranty, but I will contact them to see if they can help. Also, I just got like 3 BSODS but the minidump folder is still empty, what's up with that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
were they critical process died again? if so, if bsod is right at startup windows may not have started enough to create a minidump. it can't do it if you not logged in.

also, since windows cannot run once any of those files crashes, it may not be able to make a minidump anyway.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Something is corrupting windows.
there are only so many things inside PC that relate to data
memory tests out fine (I assume you tested 1 stick at a time)
hdd tests out fine (though using another one would prove its not ssd... have you copied everything off hdd you want to save? if so, could install win 10 on hdd instead (after removing ssd).
try installing Intel processor diagnostic tool - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool as the memory controller is on the CPU
in a PC, I would next ask about PSU but its a laptop so that makes it impossible to replace (I think)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
unfortunately, the laptop only came with a 1 year warranty, but I will contact them to see if they can help.
Are you sure that isn't just the limited warranty given by the seller? I'm sure Lenovo give a longer manufacturers warranty outside of reseller warranty - if you insert your serial number here it should tell you the full Lenovo warranty: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/services/

Agreed with Colif next point beyond getting the laptop looked at by Lenovo is CPU diagnostic. Partially why I asked if there was any overclocking earlier. But I'd still see what warranty Lenovo offer as manufacturer.

And yes I'm fairly certain all the Lenovo Legion range have soldered CPUs.

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Something is corrupting windows.
there are only so many things inside PC that relate to data
memory tests out fine (I assume you tested 1 stick at a time)
hdd tests out fine (though using another one would prove its not ssd... have you copied everything off hdd you want to save? if so, could install win 10 on hdd instead (after removing ssd).
try installing Intel processor diagnostic tool - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool as the memory controller is on the CPU
in a PC, I would next ask about PSU but its a laptop so that makes it impossible to replace (I think)
I did not test 1 dimm at a time, but I think my laptop only has 1 8 gig dimm, not sure about that. I'll try to get my hands on an hdd or alternative ssd as quickly as possible. I really hope I don't have an 800$ brick after <2 years of usage.

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Do you think I should try running linux or ubuntu? maybe it will help isolate the problem. I have never used either, but I'll manage, as long as I can revert back to windows again.
(The system only came with the 256 gig ssd, I'll have to get my hands on some alternative storage)

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Something interesting happened before I got a BSOD. I got some sort of error involving runtimebroker.exe, but was unable to read it as immediately after it crashed. The screen had been frozen about 10 seconds, followed by the error and an imminent BSOD. What do you make of this?

ArhamAsam

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

I have some very promising news. I opened my laptop up and dusted out the fans with some air, and lightly brushed off air from all the components (using a football pump). I HAVE no idea how, but the issue has seemingly been resolved. Although I would rather not jump to conclusions, I think this thread may be over. I'll close the thread if the problem has truly been fixed and if this is not just a fluke.

The weird thing is, my temps were fine prior to dusting, and little dust came out of the fans. I blew air on the motherboard and other random components to clear dirt (which was scarce) and somehow ended up here.

Last edited:
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, heat can be a cause of Machine Check exceptions. its possible the others can as well... I don't want to say too much as I find if I celebrate early, errors just come back again... so wait a few days and see how you go :)

dusting PC out always helps (reminds me I was going to do that a few weeks ago myself)