Question Constant BSODs --- - - "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Hello. My PC specs are
Ryzen 5 2400G
ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1050Ti
16gb Crucial Ballistix Ram 2666mhz but 3200 at xmp which I turned off in hope to fix bluescreens.
GA-AX370 Gaming 5
256GB PM991 SSD
Windows 10 21H1

So. Every few minutes my pc constantly bluescreens with "WHEA_UNCORRECATBLE_ERROR". I've only just noticed though that after install Fall Guys, it gets past all of the startups until Downloading Resources. As soon as it reaches here, it bluescreens.

When I am trying to play games like for example Fall Guys, I bluescreen when either I am loading into the game or when I get into a game, as soon as the countdown is over and the game starts it instantly bluescreens. The only game which this does not happen to is Minecraft Java Edition.

The bluescreen error code is "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR". I have tried to make dump files, but after a bluescreen when I go to C:\Windows, nothing is there.
I have used check disk and Windows Memory Diagnostics, no errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
this was from a previous thread

Manual says to use DDR4_1 & DDR4_2 for "optimum performance".

Might be worth the 30 seconds it takes to swap spots.
did you ever swap slots?

BIOS update is one fix for WHEA errors
raven ridge cpu = no restrictions on BIOS
Do you ever intend to use 4 sticks of ram?
if so:
Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
its in the bios update file.
if not, you can skip that step.

Now I believe you can update all the way to D51f without grabbing F40. To be safe you could update to F40 and then grab the latest.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
this was from a previous thread

did you ever swap slots?

BIOS update is one fix for WHEA errors
raven ridge cpu = no restrictions on BIOS
Do you ever intend to use 4 sticks of ram?
if so:
Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
its in the bios update file.
if not, you can skip that step.

Now I believe you can update all the way to D51f without grabbing F40. To be safe you could update to F40 and then grab the latest.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Ok, so the only things I know about ram is the size, speed and blah blah blah, I don't know what the ram slot things actually mean. If you mean just literally swapping around my ram, then I will. But I have had this PC since 25th December 2021 and it only started bluescreening at late march. And for the BIOS update thing, say if you were wrong and I couldn't just get all the way through to D51f, what would actually happen?!?!? Would it break something?

Colif

Win 11 Master
And for the BIOS update thing, say if you were wrong and I couldn't just get all the way through to D51f, what would actually happen?!?!? Would it break something?
my concern was I am not sure you can skip F40.
I am pretty sure you can but on safe side I would update bios to F40 first and then update to F51f

There is no reason for it to break anything, your CPU still works with that BIOS. If you had say an older Bristol Ridge processor, it wouldn't be supported past 40. But you are fine, I checked what CPU you had before I started.

Only thing to know, don't update BIOS if you have a thunderstorm currently in the area or might lose power, as you don't want power problems when flashing a BIOS.

99% of the time they work fine.

this shows how to update BIOS - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/MicroSite/121/flashbios_qflash.pdf

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
I am pretty sure you can but on safe side I would update bios to F40 first and then update to F51f

There is no reason for it to break anything, your CPU still works with that BIOS. If you had say an older Bristol Ridge processor, it wouldn't be supported past 40. But you are fine, I checked what CPU you had before I started.

Only thing to know, don't update BIOS if you have a thunderstorm currently in the area or might lose power, as you don't want power problems when flashing a BIOS.

this shows how to update BIOS - https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/MicroSite/121/flashbios_qflash.pdf
Okay, I'm just gonna update to F51d without F40 because its saying I need stuff and I don't really understand, wish me luck :)
Well, actually first I need to find the USB i used to get F31 a few months ago, I tried looking earlier and couldn't find it.

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022

Well, the next dilemma is that i do not know where my usb is. I don't have anymore, I've looked everywhere I thought it would be, I'll keep looking I guess

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have doubts its the ram slots. Mainly as it did run for 4 months before it started. I am just looking for what I missed before.

4_1 & 4_2 are one channel
4_3 & 4_4 are another channel

doesn't help physical order on board is
4,2,3,1 from left to right away from CPU

So you appear to be in DDR4_4 & DDR4_3 which is one of the channels.
all you would need to do is move the 2 sticks in to the slots currently empty. so probably across one.

take your time, rushing a BIOS update isn't something I would do. If you can't find one, just buy a new one. they not that expensive anymore. It doesn't have to be big.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i have asked for a 2nd opinion. Apart from taking GPU out, we seem to have tested everything and yet you still BSOD.

I just want to see if I missed something... seems I have somewhere.

Since the call was made, i'm one who has few more options as of what to try/do.

--

What SFC /scannow says?

Have you tried running in Safe Mode?

Since what it seems like, is that some software change was within your system, that started to cause those BSoD to appear. Could've been Win update, could've been driver update. Maybe even malware. Speaking of it;

Have you done malware scan? E.g MalwareBytes Free is good to use.

Do you have high CPU usage?

Now, finding that software issue within OS is like finding a needle in a haystack. Sometimes, making a clean Win install is worth it, if you're tired of troubleshooting the issue and don't want to spend more time finding the issue.

Reactions: Colif

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Since the call was made, i'm one who has few more options as of what to try/do.

--

What SFC /scannow says?

Have you tried running in Safe Mode?

Since what it seems like, is that some software change was within your system, that started to cause those BSoD to appear. Could've been Win update, could've been driver update. Maybe even malware. Speaking of it;

Have you done malware scan? E.g MalwareBytes Free is good to use.

Do you have high CPU usage?

Now, finding that software issue within OS is like finding a needle in a haystack. Sometimes, making a clean Win install is worth it, if you're tired of troubleshooting the issue and don't want to spend more time finding the issue.
So I did malware scan with MB, no malware because when it initially started happening a few months back I was hoping it was that but no, and I've even done a factory reset still bluescreens

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
I have doubts its the ram slots. Mainly as it did run for 4 months before it started. I am just looking for what I missed before.

all you would need to do is move the 2 sticks in to the slots currently empty. so probably across one.

take your time, rushing a BIOS update isn't something I would do. If you can't find one, just buy a new one. they not that expensive anymore. It doesn't have to be big.
Hey, so I'm on F51f Now :D What should I do to test it? Try load into a game of rust?

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
do whatever normally crashes you.
Hey, so I got on rust, as soon as I loaded into a game I bluescreened. I come back, and it isn't recognising my USB wifi adapter, I try replugging, then it says Windows couldn't recognise the recent USB or something, so I reboot again, then my keyboard isn't working, I had to replug it in now it works, but this is scaring me

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Hey, so I got on rust, as soon as I loaded into a game I bluescreened. I come back, and it isn't recognising my USB wifi adapter, I try replugging, then it says Windows couldn't recognise the recent USB or something, so I reboot again, then my keyboard isn't working, I had to replug it in now it works, but this is scaring me
Oh, and my headset wasn't being recognised so I had to replug that too.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wifi adapter?
what USB items have you got?

whea errors can be anything.

I don't know how useful it will be but since you haven't been able to create any dumps, I don't know what drivers you have
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
wifi adapter?
what USB items have you got?

whea errors can be anything.

I don't know how useful it will be but since you haven't been able to create any dumps, I don't know what drivers you have
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here
View: https://imgur.com/a/CnzmZu7

Colif

Win 11 Master
i seen the logitech joystick drivers cause errors before

try playing a game after taking wifi dongle out. Just see if that helps
the drivers installed for it are from Microsoft update catalog so I can't really tell what adapter it is. can you tell me its name/model?
It uses realtek drivers, I know that much, but they have a few different chipsets. Its USB 2 so its not new.

do you use WIFI or cable as the drivers for the cable are newer.

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
So, with that, you refuse to do any other troubleshooting, that may solve your issue or the very least, contract the list of possible suspects?
If so, you can just say it is a game issue and call it a day.
Who said I'm refusing? I have to done SO much to try and stop this. Turning off XMP, factory reset windows,messed around in bios settings, UPDATED bios, and much more.
I am dedicated to get this fixed so idk where you saw that I was refusing?

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
i seen the logitech joystick drivers cause errors before

try playing a game after taking wifi dongle out. Just see if that helps
the drivers installed for it are from Microsoft update catalog so I can't really tell what adapter it is. can you tell me its name/model?
It uses realtek drivers, I know that much, but they have a few different chipsets. Its USB 2 so its not new.

do you use WIFI or cable as the drivers for the cable are newer.
So, i'm not actually using a dongle, it did come with one but I never realised the actual adapter can just plug straight into my pc, so I do that. And I use WiFi. I guess I can try play Portal 2 without my wifi on but to be honest I've nearly been using this WiFi adapter for 2 years and on my old pc i had for a year, a crappy i5 4460, failing 1tb hdd only 100 bucks from ebay, that never bluescreened with it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So Wifi adapter plugs into the USB slot? I wonder why it has a dongle if you don't use it.

What make/model is it? I want to see what chip it uses.

it might not be the problem. I might be getting side tracked but I have seen WIFI adapters cause loads of errors in the last few years. I don't know if they were same errors, most of time its driver errors

I am going. I look in here when I wake up.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Who said I'm refusing? I have to done SO much to try and stop this. Turning off XMP, factory reset windows,messed around in bios settings, UPDATED bios, and much more.
I am dedicated to get this fixed so idk where you saw that I was refusing?

I read the whole topic before i gave out my suggestions as of what to do (what Colif might have missed). Now, the issue you have, seems to be software related, rather than hardware. And since software fixes are for free, albeit it takes more time, doing troubleshooting steps prior to opening your wallet is preferred.

With PCs, and namely with software, the hardest and most time consuming part isn't the actual fix, but instead finding out what causes the issue. And to narrow down possible suspects, there are things to do. E.g do 1st thing - did it help? If not, do 2nd thing - did it help? If not, do 3rd thing. Etc. Until the culprit has been found.

SFC /scannow is de-facto, #1 thing to do, when you have software issues, since this command will check the entire OS and will fix and replace all and any files that are either missing or corrupt.

Now, the easiest and least time consuming software "fix" is clean Win install. Since this will get rid of all and any software issues you have in your PC, with the cost of you loosing all your personal data on your OS drive. This starts the PC from clean slate. But since loosing personal data isn't something everyone are comfortable with, there are plethora of steps, to try, to figure out what is wrong with your system, software wise.

So, i ask again: How about the other 3 i asked for?