Question Constant BSODS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
I had the problem of windows not installing, but i got into the install slow but good.

now I’m having the problem of 2 constant BSODS when running OSU! Or apex legends (just had watchdog BSOD a minute ago)

when i play osu! Or load my pc with a few applications, after 5 to 10 minutes, it BSODS to
“kmode_exception_not_handled usbxhci.sys”

then after that gets done i reset to boot back in to windows, and it will BSOD to.
“driver irql_less_or_not_equal”

i have looked around and seen that uninstalling USB drivers would help but i havnt tried that yet.
For the usbxhci.sys error.

i have tried to do SFC command and every time it says it found corrupted files but couldn’t repair.
To try and fix this i updated to 21H1. Yet still nothing.

tried to see if praghics drivers were conflicting, but when trying to reinstall it says that there are other instillations running when there arent

i have tried to see if anything is happening between MOBO drivers and others and nothing

have tried to run image repairs, nothing.

i honestly don’t see what’s going on, i don’t see how i have corrupted files, and i don’t see how when watching YouTube it runs fine for more than 20 mins without fault, but once i play OSU! For 5 mins it crashes to the USB error. Or why when i just launch apex it crashes to clock_watchdog_timeout
Which deals with CPU. I have a water cooler and it’s going to low 60s. Please help, i just got back into windows after messing with it for 3 weeks. And i got work to do.

ASUS B550-F
32gb 3200hz vengeance LPX 2x (16x16)
1TB M.2 Samsung EVO PLUS
Gtx 1050 ti 4gb
Ryzen 5 5600x
NZXT water cooler
Thank you!

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
No worries man. I just hope it turns out to be the CPU and that it's a smooth process if it is.
I hope so too, i just sent a RMA report to AMD and got emails regarding that, just waiting for the number and place to send it. I’ll keep you posted. How does one give a recommendation, or an accolade to fine gents/ladies on here?

Colif

Win 11 Master
the person I ask to check dumps has had a sick family member recently and hasn't been here to look at posts. Of the 3 dump files he checked, only one offers anything to me that could be a clue. One victim is audiodg,exe which is used by windows to talk to audio drivers.

All 3 bsod only show operations on CPU so its possible the rma will fix it.

How does one give a recommendation, or an accolade to fine gents/ladies on here?
there is the like button under any post or if his help answers question, you can: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-award-best-answers-mark-question-as-solved.3450478/ (DB used to have a link to that in his sig)

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Had
No way, EVER, that your 1050 ti should make that CX750m break a sweat, especially relatively new, unless something was seriously wrong with it from the factory. And if there was, those tests should have been able to detect something IF you did them and IF you did the testing correctly. If not, who can say. But if so, then moving on.

Yes, I do think it is time you began to have a conversation with AMD tech support regarding an RMA and you can also point them to this thread and also, probably/hopefully, more importantly, the results that you've documented regarding all other types of testing that you've done in order to minimize the amount of interaction necessary with them and in general. They will be able to guide you better, and more importantly, in the required manner based on their own procedures, than I can. Or anybody else for that matter.

So I think that's where you're at at this point. Two motherboards, not the board. Power supplies passes tests (Assuming you did this)? Not the PSU then. Tried multiple single stick and multi stick memory configurations? Ok. Different graphics cards. Yes, thanks.

Basically all you can do, including clean installations of Windows, except, have the drives or drive been tested at all? If not, might want to do that last thing using Seatools for Windows or Western Digital lifeguard tools, or whatever utility you prefer based on input from others, to check and see that this is a healthy drive you're dealing with and that it's the ONLY drive connected during this process. If there are multiple drives, we need to know that too and disconnecting everything other than the primary OS drive at least for testing purposes, is a good idea.

https://www.minitool.com/partition-disk/ssd-health-check.html
to wait till i got back in the states and for my package to come(motherboard) needed to take a pic of it with my CPU, waiting on RMA and address to send in. I looked further into it, it has to be CPU, pins may be messed up pretty bad, took a magnifying glass, seen white on the board, bottom of two pins have some white stuff on it from the looks of it, tried to take a needle and scrape, but no go.

Well, hopefully they will allow the RMA, but if I'm being realistic I'm going to tell you that in almost every case where there are bent pins, whether on the CPU (Most AMD) or the motherboard (Most Intel), that is considered to be user error/improper installation (AKA "your fault") and is generally not a warrantable condition. I wouldn't be too surprised if that is the answer, just so you are aware of the possibility.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Well, hopefully they will allow the RMA, but if I'm being realistic I'm going to tell you that in almost every case where there are bent pins, whether on the CPU (Most AMD) or the motherboard (Most Intel), that is considered to be user error/improper installation (AKA "your fault") and is generally not a warrantable condition. I wouldn't be too surprised if that is the answer, just so you are aware of the possibility.
I just got the good to go in sending it in. Said when they look at it and figure out the problem, they’ll send another

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Package has been dropped off, now it’s a waiting game for a few days. Also to mention, the site said “user damage” and showed examples of user damage, like i would have to had scratched at it, burnt it, snapped pins off, ETC. i think I’ll be okay in the process of it all. i didn’t try to open it up, repair it, and what not. will come back with an update soon. Most likely when i get the parcel, and set up my PC again. Stay vigilant! :)

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
HOLY MOLLY AMD IS CLUTCH, i shipped it 2 days ago and just got the email from them regarding it, it passes the inspection on receiving a new replacement AMD product. That was FAST it just got there today at 1:34 pm est. I’m so happy. Now we wait on the return ship to me, I’ll put it in hopefully Friday if it makes it at that time(likely Monday) will come with further details.

I am happy for you too. However, in the future, I would recommend that you take more time when assembling things and use less thermal interface material (Paste), so that there cannot be ANY question of whether it was a flaw or a user problem. Honestly, you got lucky. Be glad and move on, don't make the same mistake again. Always better to take more time, and be sure of what you are doing, so that there is no question about where the fault lies.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
I am happy for you too. However, in the future, I would recommend that you take more time when assembling things and use less thermal interface material (Paste), so that there cannot be ANY question of whether it was a flaw or a user problem. Honestly, you got lucky. Be glad and move on, don't make the same mistake again. Always better to take more time, and be sure of what you are doing, so that there is no question about where the fault lies.
I totally agree, i also think this Corsair paste isn’t that good. When spread it clumps up, so can only imagine when putting on cooler that there are space where it touches metal to metal, i used the spreader for it, and was not quite easy to spread. I’ll keep it in the container till i get the new paste i have on correctly, thank you.

Metal to metal is fine. In fact, the BEST possible scenario would involve 100% flat, 100% full contact across the heat spreader and heatsink base. But they are almost always either convex or concave to some degree, unless they've been lapped, and even then there is much area (microscopic) that doesn't touch anything due to the porosity of the metal, which in both cases is what the thermal paste is for. It's there to fill any low spots and the microscopic pores so that there is more full contact and heat transfer between the parts.

I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Arctic MX-4 or MX-5, Noctua NT-H1 or H2, Cryorig Cryopaste or Arctic Silver 5. None of which are electrically conductive and all of which are good choices.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Metal to metal is fine. In fact, the BEST possible scenario would involve 100% flat, 100% full contact across the heat spreader and heatsink base. But they are almost always either convex or concave to some degree, unless they've been lapped, and even then there is much area (microscopic) that doesn't touch anything due to the porosity of the metal, which in both cases is what the thermal paste is for. It's there to fill any low spots and the microscopic pores so that there is more full contact and heat transfer between the parts.

I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Arctic MX-4 or MX-5, Noctua NT-H1 or H2, Cryorig Cryopaste or Arctic Silver 5. None of which are electrically conductive and all of which are good choices.
I was thinking about attic silver, heard one of the best

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
It's good, but it's a much older product. When possible I'd prefer to use Kryonaut, MX-5 or Noctua NT-H2. But I would certainly have no reservations about using Arctic Silver 5 if it was available and these others were not, at the time.
Bought the Recommended thermal paste you suggested, replacement CPU will be delivered to me tomorrow before 8pm EST US. Took paid time off from work tomorrow(today) to focus on that. Will update as soon as i get my PC put together again with new MOBO, and new CPU.

Ok man. I won't be able to respond until I get home from work, but for sure let us know how it goes. Those of us who answer things here, actually do care to try and help get things better if we can. But, we also have life going on as well, just like you all do too.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Ok man. I won't be able to respond until I get home from work, but for sure let us know how it goes. Those of us who answer things here, actually do care to try and help get things better if we can. But, we also have life going on as well, just like you all do too.
Well of course lol, never didn’t expect that. Also my shipment was delayed but will for sure be here later today

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
CPU is installed and properly running it right now, installing files and updates. Will respond after windows process is complete
PROCESS COMPLETE!!!! THE PROBLEM WAS THE CPU! Thanks for the weeks of help you provided and having the patience with my impatience! I really do appreciate this to the greatest extent. You will be getting a good review if that is possible. For anyone having issues with Pc crashing (BSODS) make sure to look at the code, search it, and see if it is CPU related, apparently from the diagnostics note via AMD, the internals of my CPU were fried in essence, they were over heated to the point where 2 cores were not working correctly, so information from the RAM and the BUS lanes were getting to the CPU, but the cores were not processing the binary to be able to calculate what it needs to do, so it would crash. i will now be downloading my drivers and games, and work stuff! thank you and happy new year!