Constant clicking/popping sound from headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

barskeladd

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
When i came home from holidays, all of the sudden i noticed that my headset and my microphone makes a constant clicking/popping sound. It's not very loud, but it gets annoying quickly. When i have other audio playing, it's not as noticable. The clicking seems to happen all the time, even while booting the PC. The headset is a HyperX Cloud 2, but my usb dongle is broken, so im using 3mm jacks. (Connected to the motherboard)

I've tried using another headset, and the clicking seems to dissapear. I've also tried connecting the HyperX to both my phone and a laptop, which also causes the clicking sounds to go away. It seems like im only getting clicking sounds when the HyperX is connected to this PC. I've got the newest audio drivers, and i've tried to reinstall them. I've also moved components and cables around a bit in my PC, incase there's electrical interference causing the issue.

All suggestions as to how to fix, or work around this issue are greatly appreciated.

Solution
By "both of the 3mm jacks" you mean the microphone jack and the headset jack side by side on the motherboard - correct?

Would not say interference per se. Seems more like a discharge of static electricity. Does the clicking get worse when the room is cold and dry versus hot and humid? May be difficult to notice.

When you touch both jacks you are most likely allowing the discharge to take a different path. A path that bypasses the headset speakers.

Wondering if you have some mismatched cable that is not allowing the correct grounding. However if the headset worked before the holiday and you are using the same overall configuration then a mismatch is less likely.

One the other hand, if one of the involved plugs, ports, or...

Ralston18

Titan
When you plug the headset into the PC's 3.5mm port try holding the plug in place.

Or move it in and out very slightly.

Can you make the "clicking/popping sound" stop?

You might try using a 3.5 mm M-F extension cable as an interim connection. Just to get a different fit to the plugs and ports involved.

barskeladd

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
I just tried that and i noticed that whenever my fingers touch both of the 3mm jacks, the clikcing stops. When i let go, it comes right back. Im guessing that means there's something casuing electrical interference? The headset normally only has one 3mm jack (mic and sound combined), so im using a splitter to be able to connect it to my motherboard. Removing the splitter has no effect.

Ralston18

Titan
By "both of the 3mm jacks" you mean the microphone jack and the headset jack side by side on the motherboard - correct?

Would not say interference per se. Seems more like a discharge of static electricity. Does the clicking get worse when the room is cold and dry versus hot and humid? May be difficult to notice.

When you touch both jacks you are most likely allowing the discharge to take a different path. A path that bypasses the headset speakers.

Wondering if you have some mismatched cable that is not allowing the correct grounding. However if the headset worked before the holiday and you are using the same overall configuration then a mismatch is less likely.

One the other hand, if one of the involved plugs, ports, or cables was somehow damaged, then that damage may be the root of the problem. I think the splitter has been eliminated, as the click remains with or without the splitter.

Experiment some more: just touch one side or the other. Try to hold the plugs in place without touching the jacks per se. Carefully hold the plug and try some side to side or back and forth motion to determine if the clicking can be stopped in that manner.

Take a close look at the connections being used with respect to TS, TRS, TRRS (Tip, Sleeve, Ring).

E.g.:

https://www.earphonediylabs.org/index.php/2018/04/04/understand-3-5-mm-jack-in-mobiles-and-laptops/

https://helpful.knobs-dials.com/index.php/Common_plugs_and_connectors

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS