EddySpeddy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello guys,

I just built a new computer:
i7 3930k (Not OC'd yet)

Asus Rampage IV Formula

16GB CX9 G.Skill Ram (Quad channel)

Corsair H60 CPU cooler (CPU runs at 30 degrees)

An SSD which I have installed my operating system, and put games on.

An HDD which I use for other programs like browser, adobe and anything else general(it's just general storage, no OS on it).

EVGA GTX 560 ti (This is a year old however)

Corsair 1,200W PSU.
---------------------------

Now everything works fine in general, I installed mobo driver, updated GPU driver and soundcard drivers installed(problem was before I installed soundcard anyway).

What happens, is my computer screen completely freezes when I try to watch a video, whether it be on a media player or on the internet. This also happens during games(so far LoL is all I have installed).

It's like a crash, no sound, no mouse, no keyboard working at all, however power remains on and screen just freezes on the image.

I've checked my Event Viewer.
The only errors that appear around the time of crash is 'Event ID 41 Kernel-Power' which I know for a fact is just when a computer is shutdown not using a normal means, i.e. holding shutdown button.

And 'Event ID 1 VDS Basic Provider' which I can't make any sense of.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced this, or could give me any tips on what the problem may be.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
Try roiling back the video driver to the one that came on the graphics card CD. Some graphics cards are not compatible with the generic Nvidia drivers, particularly video cards made by Sapphire etc.

EddySpeddy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
So take my Ram out, leave 1 in, and repeat process until all tested? Also yes HDD was plugged into Sata when I installed OS, however I can't see how that would cause this, as I simply chose to install OS on the SSD.

Don't have any CDs at the moment to burn memtest to, shall do this the old fashioned way, I have 4 sticks, I doubt all 4 are faulty ^_^

Which is why I suggested running the computer with one stick. You didn't say what speed memory you have, but if it is faster than 1333MHz then you may have to set the timings in the BIOS yourself as many BIOS's do not set the memory settings correctly for fast memory.

EddySpeddy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I have checked bios, RAM is at 1,600mhz and the mobo supports that speed. Also I have tested all the sticks, none are faulty.

It's really got me stumped, leaning towards a graphical issue due to it only freezing during games and videos.

EddySpeddy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Could be, not sure if this helps, but when I first start it up, it plays videos and games fine for half an hour or so, then starts crashing constantly from there on, and I can only force shutdown.

Also it now has a sound glitch, just this constant bvvvvv noise when it crashes.

EddySpeddy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Memtest isn't finding any errors. Left it running for ages, will try it a few times though, I found out something really weird though, it can play Minecraft and Diablo without crashing >_<

Once I find out the issue I'll give an update, coz it's so confusing and the windows errors don't give any info as to what it might be..

EddySpeddy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Not sure if it was this exactly, but I deleted my graphics driver all together, redetected it, re-downloaded latest version, installed directx again just in case.

All working now, hasn't had a crash since.