[SOLVED] Constant connect/reconnect sounds with TV turned off

savagess2546

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013
I'm not sure if it's a Windows 10 thing, a GPU thing, or a TV thing so I posted here.

I have an issue where, whenever my TV is plugged in to my computer and off, I get the connect/disconnect sounds. Sometimes all displays go black for a second before turning back on (as if I went into the nvidia panel and turned off a display or changed resolution, etc). When it happens, it'll sometimes crash games. Even with the TV off, it still shows up in the nvidia panel as on and connected (guess tv is in a standby mode. No setting on the TV allows it to be 100% turned off). I've tried in-depth fixes like having a .bat file disable that particular device-id with another file to turn it back on whenever needed. Didn't work.
Google search didn't turn up anything with this particular issue.

Specs
i5-9600k non-overclocked
32gb ram
1tb samsung m.2 ssd
couple other HDDs of varying capacities for storage
rtx 2070 super
asus 27" monitor via DP
hp 27" monitor via DP-to-HDMI
tv is a 43" tcl roku tv 4k connected via HDMI

Solution
I have narrowed my issue down to it being an HDMI issue.

I have my HDMI plugged into my audio system, and from there to my 75" TV.

When I turn off the audio and TV for the night, I constantly get the connect / disconnect sounds like every 10 seconds, all night / or until windows crashes.

If I unplug the HDMI cable after I turn off my Audio and TV, I get 1 disconnect sound, and all is fine. Windows has now been up for a month or more, with me pulling the HDMI cable every night.

As another test I left it plugged in last night, and there's than damn noise all night till 4:30 am, when I went down stairs, powered my audio and TV back on and windows had crashed.

How do we stop windows from thinking there has been a device plugged...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have narrowed my issue down to it being an HDMI issue.

I have my HDMI plugged into my audio system, and from there to my 75" TV.

When I turn off the audio and TV for the night, I constantly get the connect / disconnect sounds like every 10 seconds, all night / or until windows crashes.

If I unplug the HDMI cable after I turn off my Audio and TV, I get 1 disconnect sound, and all is fine. Windows has now been up for a month or more, with me pulling the HDMI cable every night.

As another test I left it plugged in last night, and there's than damn noise all night till 4:30 am, when I went down stairs, powered my audio and TV back on and windows had crashed.

How do we stop windows from thinking there has been a device plugged in when the device is powered off?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...y/a90e56d4-2ffe-4acd-98d3-99532b3f8fae?auth=1

Solution

savagess2546

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013

Was this just supposed to be a thread showing other people having a similar issue? This isn't how my system is setup either.

What I think is happening is that my TV is in a standby mode and periodically "checks" to see what is plugged in which results in the disconnect/connect sounds. But as it literally always shows as an available monitor, this doesn't fully explain the problem. I have all the settings turned off that allow the TV to be turned on by other devices but still to no avail.