[SOLVED] Constant Cpu usage drop while Playing Games, May be Resulting in Fps drop and laggy gameplay

Nov 17, 2020
Hello, can you guys help me?
About 4 months ago, i ended up buying a new pc for better performance. I started to notice this issue, after one month of the purchase, due to synthoms (being mainly the fps drops), like game stuttering a some really strange lag, while playing. My fps never stabilizes, it always drops for an example in cs go, even if a cap it ( fps drops from 400 to 200, and even if i cap it at 200 it starts to drop to 130 to 150) to my max refrsh rate (144hz) it still goes down. Normally CS GO isnt the best game for testing, with that intention, (can give the data in case its necessary), i also tried to play R6, like a normally do.
As a result, in Rainbow Six the fps drops(instability) is still there
PC specs:

MOBO: B450 pro max
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
GPU: mini Rtx 2060
RAM sticks: Ballistik 2666mhz (By XMP can be get to 3000mhz)
PSU: non Modular 600w power supply (80 plus certified)
Desktop: AeroCool Cylon (in case it helps)
Currently using an HDD (from Seagate, in case the speed is necessary just tell me) and a ssd
Monitor: asus vg278q

Things that i already tried:

• Messing with w10 and w8.1 registry
  • Changing Pcies Generations
  • Changing Power settings (both in bios and in the OS)
  • Changing windows version (currently on 8.1), that in some way helped with the given lag, but didnt fix the issue
  • Changing XMP profiles and manually setting the timmings for the ram
  • Different drivers from GPU and from mobo Components (Chipset, sata etc.)
  • Changing the PCie slot from GPU
  • Updating Bios (currently using an older version for testing)
  • Clearing CMoS
  • Changing Ram sticks position, and also trying only one stick
  • Disconnecting one of the Fans (I only have two fans)
  • Different settings in Msi Afterburner
  • Messing with Fans speed
Things that i would like to try:

Repasting the Thermal Paste, for both the GPU and CPU

Conclusion:
I am really lost honestly, i have been still searching different fixes, and mostly, none of them make a difference, and if they do, they only present minor changes. With that, after all this time, i decided to make a thread here, hoping that i can actually fix this.
About the the title, im not sure if this is the culpid, but that is my supposition.
Screenshots:
The first screenshots are from while i am playing CS GO, and using Afterburner to get data (the game play starts from the 22:57 until the GPU usage drops to the idle speed), as u can see the cpu usage keeps going up and down, and never gets stable. In my opinion, please correct me if i am wrong, the usage may be normal while playing games, but mines are probably not.
the other ones are just from CPU-Z in case it is helpful
Msi Afterburner and CPU-Z

I hope you guys may be able to help me, honestly, if this happens, you would not know how happy i would really become.
In case of questions, just write it down, i will do my best to answer all of them.
Also, sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:
Solution
Here's a few things I have tried to alleviate the lagging I was getting, some helped some didn't but it really depends on case-by-case basis. I would definitely recommend. 1, 5,6, and 9.
  1. Disabling NVIDIA Overlay in games. I should have known something was off with it before; it would make my mouse extremely lagging after games when it would pop up with my replays and make it almost impossible to close. I might try to do a fresh install of GeForce Experience and see if that fixes that issue, but for now, it works a lot better and doesn't seem to have a large spike of FPS drops in-game as much.
  2. BIOS Update. This is one people commonly suggest. This was a problem many years ago I had when I was much less...
Nov 9, 2020
Here's a few things I have tried to alleviate the lagging I was getting, some helped some didn't but it really depends on case-by-case basis. I would definitely recommend. 1, 5,6, and 9.
  1. Disabling NVIDIA Overlay in games. I should have known something was off with it before; it would make my mouse extremely lagging after games when it would pop up with my replays and make it almost impossible to close. I might try to do a fresh install of GeForce Experience and see if that fixes that issue, but for now, it works a lot better and doesn't seem to have a large spike of FPS drops in-game as much.
  2. BIOS Update. This is one people commonly suggest. This was a problem many years ago I had when I was much less technologically inclined than I am today. I had never updated my BIOS after I built my system for a whole year after I made it. I had never owned a gaming computer before so I just thought random frame drops in Rocket League were normal. Along with several other issues I had, I felt pretty dumb after I fixed it. Regardless, I was happier with my setup.
  3. Chipset drivers. I had never updated my chipset drivers either. My AMD 2700x seemed like it was slightly underperforming out of the box and wasn't sure why. I did a User Benchmark before and after and the results were slightly better. I am not sure if this had anything to do with remedying my stuttering or not since this was done alongside me disabling NVIDIA overlay.
  4. Graphics card drivers. This might seem like an obvious one to a lot of you guys but as a noobie trying to troubleshoot back in the day, I knew very little and this definitely was forgotten a few times until I wondered to myself why my games were sucking more than usual.
  5. Windows OS corrupt files. I have seen a few instances of corrupt operating system files causing performance decreases in games, or even just general weird bugs in windows. A few of my games would randomly crash and one of my friends suggested checking my system files. You can run a command through command prompt called sfc /scannow. This has pulled corrupt windows files on a few occasions for me and has fixed them. You will have to run command prompt by searching for it in windows search bar, right click on it and hit run as administrator, type the command above and it should take about 5 minutes or so. Alternatively, you can go to your file explorer and check all your drives independently. Go to "This PC," right-click on the drive you want, click on the Tools tab, then click the "Check" option under "Error Checking." Any drive that does not contain the OS Windows will tell you that it doesn't need to check it but it honestly doesn't hurt.
  6. Windows "Game Mode" This might be a big one. I might be wrong, but I think this is set to on by default. According to Techspot, this is a pretty substantial one and could be your golden ticket to better FPS... who knows? Try disabling by searching for Game Mode in Windows search bar.
  7. HAGS or Hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling This setting can also be found on the same page as "Game Mode." This setting may or may not help but it seems to be on a case by case basis. It's a newer feature in the NVIDIA driver update. From what I have read online It may help gaming performance in CPU bound situations.
  8. Windows 10 Power Plan This one might be less about fixing stuttering and more about getting better performance. Under "Power Options" you can change your system's power options. Go to your systems "Power and Sleep" settings and on the right side click "Additional power settings." Choose "Ultimate Performance." (would not recommend if on a gaming laptop)
  9. Disabling Dynamic Tick A number of user's have been helped by this one and it seems generally a safe bet to help with stuttering frame rates. Right-click the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin). First, enter bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes and press Enter. Then input bcdedit /set useplatformclock true in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter key. Thereafter, enter bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced in the Prompt and press Enter. Close the Command Prompt window and restart the system.

Solution