Constant crashes, doesn't seem to be overheating or PSU

Jul 20, 2018
Hi everyone!

So, I've been having this problem for the last couple of weeks and tried to look for solutions but have found nothing that works. Checked if it was my PSU but MOBO readings of it are ok, checked if it was my CPU overheating but it doesn't get more than 60 - 65 °C when playing. The problem is that my pc when running some games (HOI4, PlanetSide 2 and AC Rogue) ends up with crashes, (could be at five, ten or thirty minutes of gaming, it isn't constant) and sometimes with the screen turning off without been able to do anything to get any image again so I must restart the PC. This is pretty recent, the games runned perfectly before. The PC is just 5 months old, I'll be very grateful if someone could tell me what could be wrong.

This are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500x @ 3.79 GHz with stock cooler
GPU: R7 250 2GB DDR3 (I know it's pretty unbalanced but i was saving to get a new one later and getted this one temporarily)
RAM: 8GB DDR4
HDD: 1TB
PSU: AeroCool VX600 600W It came with the case which I don't remember the exact model but it has one fan in the back and two on front.

All drivers are updated and all.

Thanks!

Solution
The fact that you've listed your processor at 3.79Ghz, that looks you've overclocked. Have you manually OC'd that CPU?

I would suggest that *by far* the most common cause of system lock ups when you're overclocking is insufficient VCORE voltage. I'd just be putting the CPU back to stock settings and seeing whether that's stable. If it is, then it's likely you've not got enough voltage to support the OC you dialled in.

With that temporary R7 250 you have, your CPU is never going to come close to holding you back in gaming. On top of that, your PSU is pretty poor quality. My advice would be to just put your CPU back to stock settings for now and put a better quality PSU on your shopping list alongside the graphics card upgrade. Once...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Generally speaking, sudden crashes at load without any warning such as this tend to be temperature-related or power supply-related. Given that your temperatures appear to be acceptable, the next suspect is the power supply. While the claimed output of 600W is more than enough for these specs, the PSU is also of notably poor quality and it would not be shocking if it was failing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Note that it may not fix the problem, but it's next place to check (and I'd replace it anyway). Power supplies included with cases are very commonly extremely low-end types.

Jul 20, 2018

In the case it doesn't work what should be the next thing to put an eye on? Because it's pretty weird as this problem appeared just a few days ago.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

One could say everything works up until the point that it doesn't!

After PSU, it gets a little trickier. Let's hope the PSU fixes the issue and take it from there.

The fact that you've listed your processor at 3.79Ghz, that looks you've overclocked. Have you manually OC'd that CPU?

I would suggest that *by far* the most common cause of system lock ups when you're overclocking is insufficient VCORE voltage. I'd just be putting the CPU back to stock settings and seeing whether that's stable. If it is, then it's likely you've not got enough voltage to support the OC you dialled in.

With that temporary R7 250 you have, your CPU is never going to come close to holding you back in gaming. On top of that, your PSU is pretty poor quality. My advice would be to just put your CPU back to stock settings for now and put a better quality PSU on your shopping list alongside the graphics card upgrade. Once you have a better PSU and GPU, then you could consider spending some time with a proper overclocking guide to find a more stable overclock.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Nice catch on the clockspeed, I completely glanced past that.