Constant crashes... help!

atalair

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Alright so I'm having some pretty irritating issues with my computer and I'm hoping someone might have an idea, I've been having quite frequent crashes and below describes everything I've done/noticed;

What I've done;

- I have run memtest on each stick separately for 2+ hours each then 3 hours with both sticks together, all passed fine
- I have updated the firmware on the bios and 560Ti
- Reinstalled all drivers (and I mean ALL drivers)
- Reinstalled Windows 7
- I have turned off the integrated graphics on my motherboard, it is running solely on my 560ti
- I have checked the PSU and the voltages are all within about 2% of the proper voltages

Now for the problems;

- Windows will not let me install the debugging tools to check the bluescreen error files for some reason
- I am having constant crashes in games as well as Windows now. For the record this is the third time writing this because of the crashes.
- Lately the crashes are simply just a freeze up needing a hard reset (the hard reset leaves the computer in an on state but doesn't do anything, needing me to fully turn the computer off before I can boot back into windows)
- Other rarer times I'll see a blue screen for 0.5 seconds before it reboots

Really all I have left to think is its the video card, but I don't know anyone hear that I could swap with to see if that is the problem.

For a copy of the Minidmp files please see this link to another forum I created. http://www.overclock.net/t/1195073/random-black-out-for-a-few-seconds/10

-EDIT- I apologize, here are my computer specs;

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
Asus M4A78T-E
G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR1600
EVGA GTX560Ti FPB
Antec 750W High Current Gamer
Corsair 120GB SSD/ WD Black 1Tb/ WD Green 1Tb
Corsair H60 Water Cooler

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Did you check the event log around the time you had these crashes?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Look for errors (different than Information and Warnings) and try some googling based on that.

atalair

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks, I will look into the event viewer. At first glance it seems this one came up a lot...

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

And caedenv, I took out a piece of ram just now and the computer seems stable, is it possible that memtest can miss faulty ram? It passed both sticks many times.

atalair

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I was able to nab a few of the BSOD's before it rebooted, here are the ones I got

ntfs.sys
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
system_service_exception
- with 0x0000003B below

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I got that same error very recently accompanied by random restarts. That was my "application" error and I was getting a Kernel-Power and EventLog error in the "System" section. (You can see my old thread here. It says its solved but I later got the error again.) I eventually found two pieces of advice that I followed and haven't gotten the restart in a while.

First, I was told to go into the BIOS and disable speedstep. Speedstep is an Intel thing but I imagine there's something similar in an AMD BIOS. It is my understanding that speedstep lowers your voltage when your cpu is not under a load and apparently it can be the source of some issues. I was also told to disable something called ractask in my scheduled tasks. Someone in a thread with a similar problem noticed that ractask was scheduled to run every time he got the restart. He disabled it and it seemed to work for him. Like I said, having done those two things I haven't had another issue.

I don't claim to fully understand the ramifications of those two things, but that's what I did. I don't even know what ractask is supposed to do.

atalair

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Wamphryi - I will check my ssd's firmware when I get home in about 6 hours, although this problem was one of the reasons I got the SSD - albeit a small one it was so that I would reformat to a new windows install...

danraies - Thanks I will give that a shot, I've seen some other "fix's" for this error but yours seems way easier than the others.

I'm mainly still confused by the RAM part, even though memtest passed both sticks separately over hours of testing I still think it's the ram. However I don't have spares or anyone around that I could test with.

One thing I'm considering now is the mobo, it's not compatible with the ram so I'm worried it might not be the ram but the mobo?

atalair

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
So it looks like it was the video card, everything runs fine with it taken out. Strange since when I did that before everything got worse.

Oh well, now to begin to painful time with no video card as it gets RMA'd for weeks.