Question Constant crashing, help lead me in the right direction to figuring out what the cause is?

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
A couple months ago a capacitor on my motherboard blew. After replacing the motherboard, I wiped the boot hard drive, and installed Windows 10 (I disconnected my two other drives while installing).

After that, my computer has been crashing frequently. I suspected the RAM, as it was causing issues with installation, and so I switched it out for an older 8GB set I had. But my computer still continues to crash. If I try to put the 16GB set I had originally back in, Windows fails to boot, goes to automatic recovery and gives me a debug menu.

ISSUES:
My computer crashes frequently. It is usually when doing something mildly intensive, like running a Minecraft server, playing minecraft, while also browsing Chrome. Or playing any video game in a discord call. But I've also had it crash while just browsing chrome, idling, or playing a game with no other applications open.

I usually get two types of crashes:

- A BSOD, with the typical error message being PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA, MEMORY MANAGEMENT, (DRIVER)IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, SYSTEM EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE. I've had a couple others that have only happened once or twice.

-My computer will lock up, the last sound being repeated on loop, can't use mouse or keyboard, anything I was doing is frozen or gone. Minecraft server will shut down, videos are frozen. I usually have to do a hard reset, sometimes if I wait a BSOD will pop up.

Occasionally, I've had the start of the second crash, but suddenly my computer will return to normal after a couple of seconds.

Another issue I have frequently is games closing without any error. It will just freeze for a second and then quit, leaving no log in Event Viewer or a crash log any where. If Minecraft crashes, it will give me the option to view the crash report, but nothing shows up, and there is no crash report file made.

Tests I've ran:

I have ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and Memtest86. Both reported no errors on my RAM.

I've ran chkdsk and remember there being no issues, but I will run it again soon and update the thread if need be EDIT: Ran chkdsk, reported no errors.

sfc /scannow reported there being corrupted files that it could not repair.

I ran wmic diskdrive get status in command prompt, all drives were reported as OK

In depth online analysis from speedfan:

HDD 1: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=11874493&ReportVerification=6F1A2DD8
HDD 2: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=11874494&ReportVerification=453FEB69
HDD 3: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.php?ReportCode=11874495&ReportVerification=62BD511E

I would provide memory dumps of the BSODs, but I don't seem to have any in minidumps or a MEMORY.DMP file, I have it enabled however.

I originally thought my RAM was the issue, either the sticks or on the motherboard, but now I'm worried it could be the HDD. I am planning and saving up money to build a new PC. I am replacing the Mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM. I am hoping to salvage some of these parts, like my hard drive and PSU, but wanted to see if these errors indicate that maybe I should save up some more and replace them too. Was hoping if anyone could tell what would be the more likely issue. Thanks in advanced

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: AMD R9 290 Sapphire
MoBo: Asrock 970A-G/3.1
PSU: Corsair CX 750W
HDD: 500 gb, 1tb, 2tb
RAM: Kingston 8Gb(2x4gb). I don't know the specific make, they are old and I don't have the box anymore.

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi

Since i see you had tried and found problems with sfc, have you tried dism? This sounds like a corruption issue to me. Try the below command.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It might take a while, and you’ll need an internet connection for it to run. I’d leave the computer alone while it’s running.

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hi

Since i see you had tried and found problems with sfc, have you tried dism? This sounds like a corruption issue to me. Try the below command.

It might take a while, and you’ll need an internet connection for it to run. I’d leave the computer alone while it’s running.

Ok, I'll try that when I can. Sorry for the wait, posted right before I went to bed.

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hi

I ran that, it finished then I ran sfc /scannow and still had the corrupted file errors.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
And toconfirm, I am still experiencing crashing, same as the two I usually get,
That is perplexing. Can you list your specs please?
Did SFC find corruption right after DISM was done?
(either right after the command was finished or right after a restart)

Is your CPU or system overclocked at all?

Last edited:

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
That is perplexing. Can you list your specs please?
Did SFC find corruption right after DISM was done?
(either right after the command was finished or right after a restart)

Is your CPU or system overclocked at all?

My specs were in a spoiler at the bottom of the original post, sorry if that wasn't clear.

SFC found corruption right after the command finished.

As far as I know, no component of the system is over clocked.

Do you have any ideas of what it could be? I have enough money now to build a new PC, just wondering if there were any parts that sounds like it could be causing this so I know what I can salvage and what not.

I am planning to replace the CPU, GPU MoBo, and RAM. Was hoping to save my hard drives and PSU.

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Okay, recently BSOd'd and it generated a memory dump. Here's a download link to the file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0wddipeiz25pk2g/MEMORY.DMP/file

Hopefully this doesn't add to the approval waiting, didn't realize editing would do that.
Hey, to be frank I'm not an expert when it comes to digging into and interpreting a dump file, however it does look like the file that caused the crash was ndis.sys
https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-ndis-sys-blue-screen-error-windows/
It looks like updating/reinstalling drivers can solve this, among other things.

As for the hardware, I would imagine the PSU should be fine, the RAM should be fine since you already ran a test on it, and RAM failing is rare anyways. I'm not sure how long you let the memory test run for but some people suggest letting it go for a few hours. I am kind of suspecting the CPU as the culprit here, but I really can't say for sure. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Yellow768

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hey, to be frank I'm not an expert when it comes to digging into and interpreting a dump file, however it does look like the file that caused the crash was ndis.sys
https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-ndis-sys-blue-screen-error-windows/
It looks like updating/reinstalling drivers can solve this, among other things.

As for the hardware, I would imagine the PSU should be fine, the RAM should be fine since you already ran a test on it, and RAM failing is rare anyways. I'm not sure how long you let the memory test run for but some people suggest letting it go for a few hours. I am kind of suspecting the CPU as the culprit here, but I really can't say for sure. I wish I had a better answer for you.

That's okay man, I HOPE my PSU is alright, that'd save me some money when building a new one. I've looked up signs of that failing and I only seem to be having the crashing symptom. I just hate how with computers, everything is so non-specific that any symptom can be a sign of anything failing. Every forum post I've looked up always says it could be anything in my computer acting up.

TRENDING THREADS