Question Constant crashing (suspect memory or perhaps monitor resolution)

Erik Poerksen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
I've been experience crashing on most video games for a while now. I relatively recently upgraded to a 2560x1080 monitor for my main monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor as my second monitor. Ever since then I've been noticing games crashing VERY often. I suspected for a while that it might be my main monitor, but about a week ago I started getting memory errors. Then suddenly when I would turn my computer on I would get a memory error from explorer.exe that it was unable to read some memory if I recall correctly. I unfortunatly didn't save the error, but should recognize it if someone writes it. I suspected this might be a RAM issue and swapped my RAM (2x8GB DDR3) that I had purchased rougly 1.5 years earlier with some RAM(2x4GB DDR3) I've had for a long time. The errors are gone, and the crashing is greatly reduced. Yet my games still crash. Apex and CS:GO are prime examples. Both simply CTD with no error. I also occasionally get BSD, last time I got it I made sure to check the message and received a "page fault in nonpaged area" error. I have 1 old HDD that I've had forever, but none of my games are installed there. Otherwise I have 2 SSDs 1 for OS and 1 for games. Apex and CS:GO are both installed on the gaming SSD (so perhaps a problem with the drive?). My hardware is as follows:

CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: GTX 970TI
MOBO: Asus P8P67
MEMORY: (WAS, Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) PC2400 CL11 Vengeance Pro VenPk DDR3)

I suspect one of the following, but don't know how to properly test this...

1.) RAM
2.) Drive
3.) Issues with ultrawide support
4.) Issue with ultrawide and non-ultrawide monitor usage at same time

Any help would be greatly appreciated... It honestly could be anything as far as I am aware.

soheilsarhangzadeh

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
I've been experience crashing on most video games for a while now. I relatively recently upgraded to a 2560x1080 monitor for my main monitor with a 1920x1080 monitor as my second monitor. Ever since then I've been noticing games crashing VERY often. I suspected for a while that it might be my main monitor, but about a week ago I started getting memory errors. Then suddenly when I would turn my computer on I would get a memory error from explorer.exe that it was unable to read some memory if I recall correctly. I unfortunatly didn't save the error, but should recognize it if someone writes it. I suspected this might be a RAM issue and swapped my RAM (2x8GB DDR3) that I had purchased rougly 1.5 years earlier with some RAM(2x4GB DDR3) I've had for a long time. The errors are gone, and the crashing is greatly reduced. Yet my games still crash. Apex and CS:GO are prime examples. Both simply CTD with no error. I also occasionally get BSD, last time I got it I made sure to check the message and received a "page fault in nonpaged area" error. I have 1 old HDD that I've had forever, but none of my games are installed there. Otherwise I have 2 SSDs 1 for OS and 1 for games. Apex and CS:GO are both installed on the gaming SSD (so perhaps a problem with the drive?). My hardware is as follows:

CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: GTX 970TI
MOBO: Asus P8P67
MEMORY: (WAS, Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) PC2400 CL11 Vengeance Pro VenPk DDR3)

I suspect one of the following, but don't know how to properly test this...

1.) RAM
2.) Drive
3.) Issues with ultrawide support
4.) Issue with ultrawide and non-ultrawide monitor usage at same time

Any help would be greatly appreciated... It honestly could be anything as far as I am aware.
I had the same problem before, are you overclocking your GPU?