Question Constant disconnects on both WiFi and Ethernet ?

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Hello,

For the better part of 6 months I have been dealing with constant disconnects for about 30 seconds to a minute every 5 minutes on my entire network followed by error logs constantly displaying messages such as "ti_dhcp6c: 72001009-DHCPv6 - No Advertise or Reply Received 3060 times"

I have tried almost everything, I have tried the obvious things like:

• restart my router,
  • fresh reboot,
  • factory reset,
  • signal reset, etc. all to no avail.
  • I have had technicians from my ISP come out multiple times and check both my inside and outside cables, telling me both are fine.
  • I have tightened the coaxial cables as much as I can as well as removing any splitters, all to no fix.
  • We've tried replacing the router itself with a completely new one, didn't fix anything.
  • I've tried doing internal troubleshooting myself like messing with router settings, even messing with a lot of my PC settings despite it not being an exclusive problem to my PC.
  • I've checked my upstream & downstream levels and all of them look fine as far as I can tell.
  • I've had at least 5 or 6 phone calls with my ISP and 2 or 3 technician visits all of which seem clueless to what the problem could be.

At this point I am considering just going with a new ISP but I figured before I go through the hassle I could at least take a shot in the dark and see if anyone could figure this out.

Some more things to know - this is happening on both wifi and wired, it is also happening on every device we own and we live in an apartment building. Our router is the ARRIS Surfboard TG3452, however it should be noted that this same issue was happening on our old router which was a NETGEAR c7000v2. Our ISP is Breezeline

Below are screenshots of my downstream/upstream levels and screenshots of the error logs I am getting.

Error logs - View: https://imgur.com/a/DFtzwCo

Upstream & Downstream levels - View: https://imgur.com/a/AkYOwbr

Solution
Try 24 hours.

= = = =

With the entire network affected all must be looked at again. Do not know if the ISP really tested cables, connectors, and so forth.

Techs are often under much pressure and will change out a splitter. And all seems to work as can and does happen with intermittent problems. They leave, problem "resolved". Then you get the errors again.

After reading back, noted that splitters had been removed which made me think of some other possibilities.

How are any unused coax cables terminated? There are special terminators that should be used versus just some "dust cap".

FYI:

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/tip-terminate-unused-ports/

= = = =

Sketch out a diagram of your network starting with...

Ralston18

Titan
On an affected PC look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the timeline format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effor to navigate and understand.

To help with Evemt Viewer:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

= = = =

This router?

https://www.amazon.com/Surfboard-TG...3?keywords=Arris+TG3452&qid=1683924393&sr=8-3

Connectivity (line diagram where ---> represents an Ethernet cable):

ISP (Breezeline) == coax ==> Modem (make/Model) --->[WAN Port] Arris Router [LAN ports] ---> wired devices and ~~~ Wireless ~~~ > Wireless devices.

Note: The TG3452 is a combined modem/router. So you may not have a standalone modem.

Feed free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

= = = =

Just as an initial starting point try disabling IPv6 on all network devices.

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
On an affected PC look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the timeline format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effor to navigate and understand.

To help with Evemt Viewer:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

= = = =

This router?

https://www.amazon.com/Surfboard-TG...3?keywords=Arris+TG3452&qid=1683924393&sr=8-3

Connectivity (line diagram where ---> represents an Ethernet cable):

ISP (Breezeline) == coax ==> Modem (make/Model) --->[WAN Port] Arris Router [LAN ports] ---> wired devices and ~~~ Wireless ~~~ > Wireless devices.

Note: The TG3452 is a combined modem/router. So you may not have a standalone modem.

Feed free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

= = = =

Just as an initial starting point try disabling IPv6 on all network devices.
Yes, that router is correct and you do have the correct diagram on how everything is configured. I have tried disabling IPv6 a while back and I believe I did so properly but the router still is showing DHCPv6 lease time. I'm not really too sure how any of this works but I'd imagine if IPv6 was disabled then there wouldn't be any lease time for it? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I just checked Event Viewer and Reliability History and everything looks fine for the most part, I do not see any errors or warnings and the informational events that show up are just from other applications.

I have a feeling that these disconnects probably wont show up on either Event Viewer or Reliability History as when the disconnects happen, windows still says that I'm connected to the internet, its just that no pages load or if I'm on a call with someone they just can't hear me anymore. Same happens on my phone, still says I'm connected to wifi but either the videos I'm watching start buffering or pages take a while to load.

Something is broken in your images for me.

Do you see entries in the modem log around the time it goes down. Generally things like sync errors or a bunch or no ranging response messages in a row mean it is going down. You sometime can tell by the lights on the modem if you can see it while it does this.

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.
Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A8-A1-59-1F-98-3B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.17(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 12, 2023 2:07:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 19, 2159 12:58:58 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-55-6F-EE-D4

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-VyprVPN Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-F5-3B-97-FD

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-83-EC-B2-B7

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link Wireless MU-MIMO USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-A2-F4-93-A6-2C

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9E-A2-F4-93-A6-2C

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-A2-F4-93-A6-2C

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8C-88-2B-02-FF-CF

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Something is broken in your images for me.

Do you see entries in the modem log around the time it goes down. Generally things like sync errors or a bunch or no ranging response messages in a row mean it is going down. You sometime can tell by the lights on the modem if you can see it while it does this.
On my old router, the Netgear one, the error logs would be something like "T3 or T4 timeout no ranging response recieved" or "Received response to broadcast maintenance, but no opportunities recieved" whenever the connection went out. They weren't exactly that as I do not have that router anymore so I can't check but those were what i remember.

This new router we have, just shows errors that say "ti_dhcp6c: 72001009-DHCPv6 - No Advertise or Reply Received x times" when the connection goes out. I always figured that it is probably the same error as the one the old router had, just is worded differently.

Ralston18

Titan
From the posted "ipconfig /all":

A 36 year + lease time?

That is really amiss. And hopefully not some defaullt/reset value.

One possible consequence being that any given DHCP IP address, once assigned to a device, may not be available for reuse. I do not know.

If anything, could simply indicate that the router is faulty in some manner. However, that is offset by the previous router having the same problem(s).

Do you have admin rights to access the router's admin pages and can change the lease time?

Change the DHCP IP address lease time to 1 (one) week or 168 hours. Be sure to approve the change via some "Save". "Yes", "Ok", or similar admin confirmation.

Determine if a lease time change resolves the disconnect issues.

Last edited:

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
From the posted "ipconfig /all":

A 36 year + lease time?

That is really amiss. And hopefully not some defaullt/reset value.

One possible consequence being that any given DHCP IP address, once assigned to a device, may not be available for reuse. I do not know.

If anything, could simply indicate that the router is faulty in some manner. However, that is offset by the previous router having the same problem(s).

Do you have admin rights to access the router's admin pages and can change the lease time?

Change the DHCP IP address lease time to 1 (one) week or 168 hours. Be sure to approve the change via some "Save". "Yes", "Ok", or similar admin confirmation.

Determine if a lease time change resolves the disconnect issues.
Just changed lease renewal time to 168 hours and restarted router. Was browsing for about 20 minutes to test disconnects and I am still recieving them. and I am also still getting the errors in my error logs.

Anything else we could try?

Ralston18

Titan
Try 24 hours.

= = = =

With the entire network affected all must be looked at again. Do not know if the ISP really tested cables, connectors, and so forth.

Techs are often under much pressure and will change out a splitter. And all seems to work as can and does happen with intermittent problems. They leave, problem "resolved". Then you get the errors again.

After reading back, noted that splitters had been removed which made me think of some other possibilities.

How are any unused coax cables terminated? There are special terminators that should be used versus just some "dust cap".

FYI:

= = = =

Sketch out a diagram of your network starting with where ISP service enters your residence. Incvlude ISP devivces. Note makes and models.

lnclude all cables, splitters, wall ports, and devices. Including electrical connections to wall outlets. Plus surge protectors, power strips, UPSs, as much as you can find and document. Check for any grounding (earth) wires. Make note of their locations.

Physically inspect everything as much as can be safely done. No climbing on roofs, etc.. Check for signs of damage: corrosion, kinked or pinched wires, bare conductor showing, loose connections, rodent chews, nails/staples crimping or cutting into wires. Connections to "nowhere". Connections that are not expected or recognized. Include any remaining splitters.

If only ports are being used on a four port splitter, then replace the splitter with a two port. Splitters are cheaply made and can and do fail. Or become quite problematic in the meantime.

More information:

https://www.flukenetworks.com/knowl... the name implies, a,to the other output port.

Look for any sort of "loop" where Device A is connected to Device B is connected to Device C which is then in some way connected to Device A again. No matter what type of cables or path is involved.

The overall objective being to exclude some physical problem with network and device connections.

Solution

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Try 24 hours.

= = = =

FYI:

= = = =

Sketch out a diagram of your network starting with where ISP service enters your residence. Incvlude ISP devivces. Note makes and models.

lnclude all cables, splitters, wall ports, and devices. Including electrical connections to wall outlets. Plus surge protectors, power strips, UPSs, as much as you can find and document. Check for any grounding (earth) wires. Make note of their locations.

Physically inspect everything as much as can be safely done. No climbing on roofs, etc.. Check for signs of damage: corrosion, kinked or pinched wires, bare conductor showing, loose connections, rodent chews, nails/staples crimping or cutting into wires. Connections to "nowhere". Connections that are not expected or recognized. Include any remaining splitters.

If only ports are being used on a four port splitter, then replace the splitter with a two port. Splitters are cheaply made and can and do fail. Or become quite problematic in the meantime.

More information:

https://www.flukenetworks.com/knowledge-base/cableiq/coaxial-cable-splitters-cableiq#:~:text=As the name implies, a,to the other output port.

Look for any sort of "loop" where Device A is connected to Device B is connected to Device C which is then in some way connected to Device A again. No matter what type of cables or path is involved.

The overall objective being to exclude some physical problem with network and device connections.
I switched it to 24 hours and tested it for a few hours and it seems that may have done it, havent had any disconnects since then and I also havent been seeing the errors anymore.

I'm gonna give it the day to see if its fully stable and working and if it is I'll mark the thread as solved, if not I'll come back and reply to everything you asked about.

TRENDING THREADS