Constant Display Driver Error

Lemartes88

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Hey all,

Just looking for advice and wasn't sure if here was the right place to post but am at my wit's end trying to correct a display driver issue.

I have recently bought a new Asus G75VW Win8 64bit, 16gb RAM with nVidia gtx660M GPU. Before ever installing a game onto the system, every now and then the screen would flash and an error would appear in the corner reading:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: Display driver nVidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 337.88 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I at first thought nothing of it as it appeared and vanished and the computer worked fine. On installing Dark Souls 2 on the computer however the problems started. After short playing time the screen would freeze and appear corrupted (green blocks covering screen) and would either crash the game or simply freeze the entire computer.

I have googled like crazy and it seems this is a common problem so I will list the fixes I have tried in the hopes of getting some good info from someone:

Reinstalled nVidia driver twice
Made the registry alterations suggested in other forums
Run a temperature monitor and the highest the GPU ever got was 65 degress Celsius
Ran a Video Memory Stress Test which displayed literally tens of thousands of errors which I could not translate
Uninstalled Mozilla as apparently it caused errors

None of these have worked so far other than telling me that there is some large errors in the card.

If I think of anything else I can post but is anyone able to provide any further help on whether I have a software or hardware issue? Is the card just dying? I bought the laptop on Ebay which seems to have been a poor idea.

Any help is appreciated

citivs

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Exactly the same thing at 65 degrees or sometimes 67 degrees. Not a temperature issue I guess but something triggers something else which I still do not understand.