Question Constant Electric Shock Disabling Audio

madhatterui

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
2
0
4,510
0
my peripherals are:
keyboard - Corsair K70 RGB mk2
headset - HyperX Cloud Revolver
mouse - Corsair Scimitar

This has been happening for a while now and I can't figure it out. Whenever I walk away from the computer and comeback I'm either static/electrically shocked when I touch any peripherial including my case, or I come back and I just hear static in the headset. In both cases I have to unplug the headset and/or mouse because they've completely stopped working. Everything is on a wood desk, my room is carpeted but the area below my desk and chair is a plastic/rubberish desk mat. This hasn't just been the case during the winter either. The weirdest part is if I unplug the headset from the usb input on the keyboard and just have the sound through speakers there is no problem whatsoever. Can the headset be causing all this to happen?
 

Ralston18

Titan
Moderator
Yes - it could be the headset but only in the sense that its' presence when plugged into the keyboard's USB results in a short circuit of some sort.

In other words, electricity starts flowing/going along paths where it should not be going and you end up getting shocked.

If the problem just started then I would suspect that a cable, a plug, or a port has been damaged.

Could be the keyboard or the headset. Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to look for physical damage, bare conductor showing,

Try the keyboard and/or headset on other known working computers. Determine if the problem occurs in other computer/keyboard/headset configurations.

Do so very carefully. And if you receive further shocks then stop using the headset and/or keyboard.

Find someone with a multi-meter who knows how to use it and troubleshoot for short circuits.
 

madhatterui

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
2
0
4,510
0
Yes - it could be the headset but only in the sense that its' presence when plugged into the keyboard's USB results in a short circuit of some sort.

In other words, electricity starts flowing/going along paths where it should not be going and you end up getting shocked.

If the problem just started then I would suspect that a cable, a plug, or a port has been damaged.

Could be the keyboard or the headset. Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to look for physical damage, bare conductor showing,

Try the keyboard and/or headset on other known working computers. Determine if the problem occurs in other computer/keyboard/headset configurations.

Do so very carefully. And if you receive further shocks then stop using the headset and/or keyboard.

Find someone with a multi-meter who knows how to use it and troubleshoot for short circuits.
Sounds good, I'll try that out. I appreciate the advice Ralston!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS