Question Constant Fibre Internet Speed Drops

palmtreeemojis

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
Hi there,

I have a fibre internet issue that is driving me nuts and my ISP is giving me the run-around.

My internet speeds constantly drop from 35mbps to 1mbps, this is over both a wired connection (cat7 cable into a 2.5gig port) and wifi. My ISP has reset my line countless times, and remapped all the users and tried various other things but nothing has helped.

At first, I suspected a faulty router but after trying three brand new routers I have encountered the same issue with each one. The only way to fix the slow speeds is to unplug the ethernet cable between my router and ONT and plug it back in and voila, the speeds return to normal for a short time. I did suspect it might be a faulty ethernet cable between the router and ONT but I have replaced that and still, the issue persists. However, if I plug into the ONT directly, the speeds are stable. But as soon as I introduce a router be it old or straight out of the box, the speeds constantly fluctuate and drop to a crawl.

Does anyone have any idea how I could troubleshoot this issue further? It has been months and I am really struggling to get to the bottom of the problem!

Ralston18

Titan
Noted that you replaced the Ethernet cable:

Did you replace that Cat 7 cable with perhaps another Cat 7 cable or use a known working Cat 5e cable.

Cat 7 is not necessary and there is a good chance that the cable's quality is lacking. Cat 7 cable source?

ISP? ONT?

What make and model router do you now have? Only one router in your network - correct?

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.