[SOLVED] Constant FPS but frequent stuttering

Jul 12, 2019
Hello all. Had a look around the internet about this problem but I couldn't find a lot so here I am making a post.

The title says it all really, I'll be able to games such as Battlefield, PUBG and Overwatch with constant 60+ fps but have very frequent micro-stuttering. Here's my set-up:

Sapphire RX 570 8gb
AMD FX-6350 @ 4.2Ghz
Gigabyte 990x gaming sli
Kingston Hyperx DDR3 2x4gb @ 1600mhz

I recently upgraded from a GTX 670 as it died on me, but I heavily feel like the performance I was getting beforehand was better. I also recently overclocked my CPU from 3.9ghz to 4.2ghz as I felt like it was the limiting factor in my system. I understand that this might not be a lot of information to go off but any insight would be greatly appreciated. It's frustrating as I feel like I should be getting a lot more out of my system.

Cheers.

Solution
The short: Your old processor cannot cope with a modern GPU.

The long:

Since you have upgraded your video card your AMD FX6350 is no longer held back by your GPU. This causes your processor to be fully utilized in most games causing micro stutter. Also, 8gb ram can cause some micro stutter, but I would suspect your CPU is the main cause.

There are 2 solutions to this problem:
  1. Upgrade your processor, motherboard, and ram
  2. Turn up graphics settings shifting load from cpu to gpu and reducing stutter.
I have also dealt with reducing micro stutter with a low-end cpu and RX580. You can improve the situation by changing settings, but the only real solution is to upgrade your CPU.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Old, underpowered CPU, not much RAM may both be causes for concern. My old PC had 16GB of nearly identical ram, an FX 8320 overclocked to 3.8 (stock cooler) and a 1060 6GB, which was originally an R7 270X. It ran about 40fps higher on average with higher settings when I upgraded the GPU, but it always stuttered. That CPU is likely the weakest point here, though upgrading to 16GB of RAM wouldn't hurt. Your best bet for better/more consistent performance would probably be an upgrade to something like an R5 2600 or 3600, with 16GB of memory. I went for the 2600 on sale, and run considerably higher FPS (60fps increase in most games) and have much lower temps, even OCed to 4.0 on stock cooler.

In english, if you're willing to upgrade, here's a part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8kDWjy

Reactions: Maccowire

The long:

Since you have upgraded your video card your AMD FX6350 is no longer held back by your GPU. This causes your processor to be fully utilized in most games causing micro stutter. Also, 8gb ram can cause some micro stutter, but I would suspect your CPU is the main cause.

2. Turn up graphics settings shifting load from cpu to gpu and reducing stutter.
I have also dealt with reducing micro stutter with a low-end cpu and RX580. You can improve the situation by changing settings, but the only real solution is to upgrade your CPU.

Reactions: Maccowire
Solution
Jul 12, 2019
Old, underpowered CPU, not much RAM may both be causes for concern. My old PC had 16GB of nearly identical ram, an FX 8320 overclocked to 3.8 (stock cooler) and a 1060 6GB, which was originally an R7 270X. It ran about 40fps higher on average with higher settings when I upgraded the GPU, but it always stuttered. That CPU is likely the weakest point here, though upgrading to 16GB of RAM wouldn't hurt. Your best bet for better/more consistent performance would probably be an upgrade to something like an R5 2600 or 3600, with 16GB of memory. I went for the 2600 on sale, and run considerably higher FPS (60fps increase in most games) and have much lower temps, even OCed to 4.0 on stock cooler.

In english, if you're willing to upgrade, here's a part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8kDWjy

Yeah, I've come down to this being the main problem.

I did manage to get my games running a lot better with a few windows registry options and optimising my AMD drivers, which did actually get my games running noticeably better, but an upgrade is needed.

Additionally, you've hit the nail on the head for what I was going to upgrade with. I live a couple of miles down the road from the overclockers store and will be heading there when I've got the cash in hand.

Thanks for the help though, I forgot I even made this post haha.

Jul 12, 2019

The long:

I'll definitely be trying to upgrade these parts when I've got the cash in hand.

I wouldn't have thought increasing graphics settings would help with stutter, does it actually work like this?

Thanks for the response. :)

TRENDING THREADS