Constant fps drops in games

Dec 28, 2018
Hello everyone.
I've been having this problem for a while on my computer that in games my fps drops a lot and is unplayable.

I built it back in April 2018 and when it was first built for a few months it ran flawlessly but now it is just so many frame drops.

In older games like Gmod and portal 2 I don't think there is any drops (over 250fps constantly both), csgo has a few drops but nothing major (around 150 fps usually with occasional drops to 40)
My main problem is newer games like fortnite and subnautica always have these nonstop hitches where sometimes is even frozen for like whole seconds.
Early this year I was playing fortnite max settings at a consistent 90fps, now even at low settings it has only 100fps with constant drops to 10 or below and sometimes even freezes for whole seconds.
Another thing to add is I have 0 drops whatsoever in creative mode but in battle Royale it's just lagging non-stop. Subnautica is similar experience.

I've also tried all the things that are meant to be help fps (high performance mode, disable game dvr,
Defrag drives, update drivers)

Please help me somebody this is getting unplayable now!!

Specs are:
Cpu: i3 7100
GPU: gtx 1060 3gb
Ram:8gb ddr4
Storage: 120gb SSD for os, 1tb hard drive for games
500w psu

Solution
Monitor cpu usage, are any cores hitting 100% in the games you are having trouble with? I expect your cpu May be the problem in newer games, these days quad core in the minimum recommended and your cpu is dual core with hyperthreading.

mtracy1991

Reputable

1. Roll back to old drivers for the GPU and let me know if there is any improvement.
2. A simple Disk Defragment helped with my FPS issue, so try that if you do not perform these frequently (weekly, monthly, et cetra).
3. Run AVG Anti-Virus and see if there any oddities appear.

Dec 28, 2018

Thanks for the help, ive tried rolling back from device manager but that only did one version and the fps didnt increase. I might try an even older version from the nvidia website and see if that does anything.
I have weekly disk defragments on and that seems all fine to me.
is avg a good antivirus?? i thought they were known to be sketchy?? and can you use them for free anyway??

Thanks. Ill try these things and hopefully it works

mtracy1991

Reputable

AVG is free, yes. They also have a free to use tune-up as well that may be beneficial for your situation. Keep me posted

Dec 28, 2018
Yes I have found in fortnite especially it hits 100% on all cores non stop. Is there anything I could do or is the only option to upgrade?? And if so what kind of cpu should I upgrade to, I don't want to be spending too much and just going to keep the 1060 for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The thing I don't get though is why it used to perform fine and slowly got worse over time in several games.

Not sure if it’s true but I have read that Fortnite has become more cpu heavy with updates.

Only thing you can do is make sure the cpu is running at full speed while gaming. When in game what speed (GHz) is the cpu running at?

If the speed is ok then you could try putting an FPS limiter on. CPU usage is directly linked to fps. However as you cannot overclock the only real solution is a cpu upgrade. Going from an i3 to i5 just seems too small of an upgrade to be worth it so ideally I’d say look at going i7 7700/6700, you could go i5 7600/6600 but I cannot say just how much of an improvement you will get and these i5’s are still only quad cores which is entry level these days.

Dec 28, 2018
Yeah maybe I'm not sure how much I'm willing to pay for my pc though because I am still in school and don't have a good source of income. I just thought it's a but strange as well that my pc is performing so bad when you search up a single i3 7100 fortnite gameplay on YouTube they all have fine fps even if it's recent.

And also how I said in different fortnite gamemodes there is no problem, but it's terrible in battle Royale.

Is it even worth maybe looking into next gen ryzen and upgrading the motherboard?? Or the newer gen i5s as well?? I just don't want to be spending over $350 really on upgrading. (That's AU dollars by the way I live in Australia so something like $250 USD I think) I could be willing to stretch the budget as well if you think it will be an upgrade that will last.

Actually now I look at prices I'm thinking most likely an i5 because it's pretty much i5=$300 i7=$500

Fortnite used to run great at 90FPS? Use in game settings to limit it to 90FPS (experiment a bit) the game uses just enough CPU resources if it has a limit but without a limit it goes crazy in the usage department.

Dec 28, 2018
I have heard that I should limit my fps plenty of times from people when I tell them my problem and while limiting to 60fps in game it makes the overall game smoother but there is still a lot of hitches and lag especially when I actually get into fights which is where it matters most.

Basically with a cap it improves when there is not much happening just running across somwhere but when there is action it is still just as bad as without.