Question Constant gpu usage dips on new computer

Aug 21, 2019
Hello all, I built my new computer and I keep getting random stutters in all my games like overwatch, pubg, league of legends, GSCO, etc. The funny thing is that they also happen outside of games, and is very noticeable when typing because for a second, the text stops, and then 10 letters just pop up, almost like my entire computer paused for a bit. What is especially odd is that it seems to happen at somewhat regular intervals.

Quickly figured out it was my frames that keeps dipping due to random gpu usage drops (thanks to MSI Afterburner). However I have absolutely no idea what to do. I tried to a clean install of my graphics driver using DDU from guru3d, and installed the newest nvidia driver (not geforce experience, just the driver). The problem still happens, and I don't know where to go from here. From research, a common problem is the gpu might be thermally throttling, but my gpu fan curve is pretty aggressive and only maxes out at 78-80*C and at this point I'm stumped.

View: https://i.imgur.com/Qx8YfvS.jpg

View: https://imgur.com/a/TE6xlyF

UserBenchmarks: Game 129%, Desk 108%, Work 102%

Specs:

cpu- i7 8700k @ 5ghz

cooler- kraken x62

gpu- MSI 1080ti aero

mobo- MSI z370 a-pro

ram- ADATA 32gb 2400mhz

psu- evga supernova 750w G2

storage- 3 240gb SSD 2.5" RAID0 (i thought maybe this might be a cause)

case- fractal design meshify C

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If GPU temps were causing it it should just gradually lower clocks corresponding with temps not take a steep dive in GPU usage like that. Are core clock speeds dropping significantly when that happens as well? There is a core clock graph in afterburner.

If I had to guess it's power throttling though I have no idea why it would do that. The power graphs in afterburner might be useful as well power%, power limit, and voltage limit. You aren't using any funky adapters to power that GPU or anything like that right?

Aug 21, 2019
malware scan?
cpu temp?
-Cpu temp shown in second picture, high 50's to low 60's under load, using kraken x62
-Haven't done a malware scan besides windows defender (idk if that counts?), whats a good malware scan software?

If GPU temps were causing it it should just gradually lower clocks corresponding with temps not take a steep dive in GPU usage like that. Are core clock speeds dropping significantly when that happens as well? There is a core clock graph in afterburner.

If I had to guess it's power throttling though I have no idea why it would do that. The power graphs in afterburner might be useful as well power%, power limit, and voltage limit. You aren't using any funky adapters to power that GPU or anything like that right?

-No funky adapters, just the cable that came with the PSU and plugged it straight up from PSU to GPU with the stock cable. I made sure I got enough wattage so as to not cause power problems.
d9yUiN3.jpg

-Here are the all the power related stuff on MSI afterburner
The max temp recorded was 87*C
g9DnwB8.jpg

Aug 21, 2019
Used malware scan, found 34 files, quarantined them and for a few a minutes, the problem went away. Now the usage drops are back and malwarebytes is telling me everything is ok.

Last edited: