nvyrectangle

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
After upgrading from 8.1 to windows 10 i have horrible hdd performance. System PID 4 process is constantly writing and reading to hard drive, i've checked procmon and its showing activity by (C:\$Mft ; C:\$Mft::$BITMAP ; C:\$Logfile; C:\$Extend\$UsnJnrl:$J and also System Volume Information)
Activity also spikes up the most whenever i open any program, and it really would be an issue, but it takes around 2-3 minutes of waiting for everything to chill down. I have tried turning off BITS, superfetch and pagefile and did chkdsk check, none of those helped. Haven't found any info about that issue around the web. (Winver 1809)

Solution
Installing anything else other than the latest version will have the system ties up downloading updates for hours after the install....

Naturally, if you have minimal RAM, (4 GB is horribly minimal for Win10, IMO)I'd anticipate more drive thrashing...

And, as all spinning drives are slow, plan your exodus to an SSD?

If anything got botched during the upgrade, as long as WIn10 activated, you can now simply download the media creation tool, and download the latest to USB installer, in case a complete reinstall (the proverbial 'nuke and pave'!) becomes necessary

Ralston18

Titan
Full system hardware specs?

My thought that the currently installed version (1809) of Windows 10 is much in need of some updates.

Flushing out 1809 or maybe even trying to get to 1903.....

System hardware specs and internet speeds may be making the process very sluggish.

All the more if you keep trying to do other things and resources are diverted accordingly.

Just leave the system alone for awhile. Monitor just enough to see if it crashes or otherwise comes to a halt.

Reduce the workload by temporarily removing any apps you are launching via Task Manager > Startup

Resource Monitor should help you keep an eye on things but that will also demand resources.

Watch long enough to get a sense of what the system is working on and then you can probably close Resource Monitor.

Installing anything else other than the latest version will have the system ties up downloading updates for hours after the install....

Naturally, if you have minimal RAM, (4 GB is horribly minimal for Win10, IMO)I'd anticipate more drive thrashing...

And, as all spinning drives are slow, plan your exodus to an SSD?

If anything got botched during the upgrade, as long as WIn10 activated, you can now simply download the media creation tool, and download the latest to USB installer, in case a complete reinstall (the proverbial 'nuke and pave'!) becomes necessary

Solution