[SOLVED] Constant High-Pitch, Alert-like Sound Playing From PC Even When Sound Devices Are Muted And Disabled.

Dec 24, 2021
Hi,
For the past several months, I've been experiencing my PC randomly emitting this high-pitch, alert-like sound from my monitor's speakers even after I mute and disable all sound devices. It would only stop when I shut down my PC. At first, it would only happen once or twice a week. But now it occurs several times a day and I don't know what to do anymore.

If anyone is wondering, I made sure that there were not any background programs running in Task Manager during these sporadic episodes. Since this has only started happening as of a few months ago, perhaps this is some sort of glitch caused by a Windows Update?

Here is a Google Drive link to a video I took of the computer making these sounds:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KtW4V-XTwbNWJhlnZZpR_CeE5zvyIjXN/view?usp=sharing
OS Specs:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 20H2
OS Build: 19042.1348
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Is anyone else having this issue? Any insight into this befuddling situation would greatly appreciated.

Solution
disabling the speaker drivers
disabling drivers does not stop sound from being produced.
you would need to go into Control Panel > Sound and actually disable the monitor as an audio device.
the only speakers I have are built into my monitor and my PC doesn't have output sound.
what kind of crap system is this that it doesn't even offer a single 3.5mm audio output?
over 25 years of working with PCs, and ten years prior working with Apple systems, i have never seen one that didn't include at least a single output.

i would guess no Bluetooth either then?
Dec 24, 2021
I can't change the speakers as the only speakers I have are built into my monitor and my PC doesn't have output sound. And as stated previously, muting and disabling the speaker drivers does nothing to stop the sound. It happens at random intervals so can it really be a hardware issue?

disabling the speaker drivers
disabling drivers does not stop sound from being produced.
you would need to go into Control Panel > Sound and actually disable the monitor as an audio device.
the only speakers I have are built into my monitor and my PC doesn't have output sound.
what kind of crap system is this that it doesn't even offer a single 3.5mm audio output?
over 25 years of working with PCs, and ten years prior working with Apple systems, i have never seen one that didn't include at least a single output.

i would guess no Bluetooth either then?

Solution
Dec 24, 2021
Sorry, let me clarify. My pc does have a few 3.5 mm outputs for headphones. The only way it is connected to my monitor's speaker is through an HDMI cable. I can't disconnect this cable as it is used for display as well.

Also, thanks for the Control Panel suggestion. I will definitely try it next time the sounds start to see if that ends the noise.

The sound still comes from the monitor speakers even when I have headphones connected
definitely weird.
my guess would be that someone is playing a prank on you but i don't see how it would be possible to have set this up.

i just don't understand why this feature would be built-in to any monitor.
not like it's connected to any national alert services or has any potentially dangerous components that would need this type of warning when malfunctioning.

if disabling the monitor as an audio device doesn't stop the alarm i would contact ASUS customer support about troubleshooting or getting this thing replaced.

Dec 24, 2021
I checked the monitor's manual (ASUS PB287Q) and found that there are options to change the audio output and mute, but for some reason, it won't let me change those settings.

Dec 24, 2021
Oh sorry, the OSD menu does let me change the sound settings. It's just that there is no confirmation button, which mislead me into thinking the options were unchangeable. The next time that noise comes back, I'll definitely try to disable it in Control Panel or the OSD menu and see if that stops it.

Supposing that it works, that would still leave the question of what is possibly triggering this sound to occur in the first place.