[SOLVED] Constant hissing even when its closed

xZOKA

Honorable
Mar 16, 2015
So this issue started a few days ago, at least thats when i got aware of it. PSU hisses constantly even when there is no load or even when i switch it off. It gets higher when i open the pc. I believe its casued by the plug part, i don't know why but maybe somehow it leaks voltage. I'm no expert as you can see :) I didn't want to ignore it since it can break basically anything within the computer, so the brand is Cooler Master G750M Bronze i believe. It's a bit hard to hear with the capabilities of my phones mic but i hope you can hear it. Should i buy a new one or what should i do and why is it happening? Thank you!

Sound demo link

xZOKA

Honorable
Mar 16, 2015
It's a coil whine, nothing dangerous. Replacing the PSU might help with that but it may be caused by some interference in your mains as well. Is your PC plugged into outlet directly or through UPS ?
It makes the sound even when the pc is of. Is that coil whine? Because it only stops if i unplug the pc. And its not directly plugged into outlet, i have a socket with protection for voltage spikes and that sort of thing but its not exactly a ups

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It makes the sound even when the pc is of. Is that coil whine?
Yes, even when your PC is technically off, part of PSU is still powered on providing 5V voltage for USB ports.
i have a socket with protection for voltage spikes and that sort of thing but its not exactly a ups
Surge protector ? That's unrelevant here.

Reactions: xZOKA
Solution
It makes the sound even when the pc is of. Is that coil whine? Because it only stops if i unplug the pc. And its not directly plugged into outlet, i have a socket with protection for voltage spikes and that sort of thing but its not exactly a ups

It's the PFC choke coil. Yours is particularly loud, though. Seems that Cooler Master's OEM completely forgot to laminate that choke.

xZOKA

Honorable
Mar 16, 2015
Thank you guys, honestly. So even though it wasnt like this before its an ignorable sound?
Oh and a last addition since a psu may kill all the components : i had this pc for more than 4 years now and it just started so i can say thats kinda normal?