Question Constant internet drop only on PC.

valaniftbuisness

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
I can't for the life of me find anyone with the exact same problem as me so i'll ask here.

Recently I installed a new motherboard and cpu to my computer, an i9-10850k and an ASUS Prime Z590-A. After I installed those parts a new issue has arisen that I have never had before. At complete random times, my internet connection will cut out for anywhere from 5-30 seconds and then come back.
I have no idea what is causing this problem. I bought a new wifi card, reinstalled the drivers, updated any old drivers, nothing is working. I would like to play my games and talk to my friends uninterrupted but this constant connection issue makes it difficult.
Anyone know a solution to this problem?

PSU: Roswell Photon 80+ Gold 1200W Modular Power Supply
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060
RAM: DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 3200 MHZ
WIFI CARD: ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band 4x4 AC3100

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Any errors in Reliability History and Event Viewer that correspond to the disconnect times?

Double check that the motherboard only has one network adapter enabled.

Based on your post category you are using wireless - correct?l If so then any wired network adapters should be disabled.

valaniftbuisness

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Any errors in Reliability History and Event Viewer that correspond to the disconnect times?

Double check that the motherboard only has one network adapter enabled.

Based on your post category you are using wireless - correct?l If so then any wired network adapters should be disabled.

Updated.

Yes im using wireless (pain 😓)

I disabled my wired network adapters so hopefully it will be fixed now. I'll reply again if it keeps happening though.

new motherboard and cpu, did you do a fresh os install?

I didn't initially, but at some point before the problem my computer blue screened due to a wifi driver error (on my old wifi card, plus i did a reinstall of the driver after that). I reset windows but kept all my files.
If i really need to i'll do a full windows reset but i'd rather not if I dont have to given all the things i'd need to reinstall.

Try to test on a ethernet connection if you can. This will show if it is the wifi itself causing it or if it is something else with your machine or maybe even the internet connection.

You could also try a linux boot image. Most but not all wifi devices have drivers in the boot image. This method works best if you can say find the problem by running a constant ping. If the problem is very random or only occurs running software that will not run on linux this method will not help. Pretty much this is done so you don't have to do a completely windows reinstall and have the problem still happen.

valaniftbuisness

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
Try to test on a ethernet connection if you can. This will show if it is the wifi itself causing it or if it is something else with your machine or maybe even the internet connection.

You could also try a linux boot image. Most but not all wifi devices have drivers in the boot image. This method works best if you can say find the problem by running a constant ping. If the problem is very random or only occurs running software that will not run on linux this method will not help. Pretty much this is done so you don't have to do a completely windows reinstall and have the problem still happen.
As much as I would love to try an ethernet connection to see if it changes anything, the router is in someone elses room on the opposite side of the house.

I'm just going to reinstall windows as that seems like the easiest solution. Ill reply back later with results to see if it has worked.

You have now eliminated everything . You have tried multiple wifi cards and reinstalled all the software.

Do you have any way to determine if the internet itself is actually dropping. If you were to leave a ping run on another device to say 8.8.8.8 does it lose connection at the same time.

valaniftbuisness

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
Update: The disconnects are happening less frequently now. I haven't really changed anything though. The internet still becomes 0 bars for like a minute then comes back and I don't drop connection when it happens, but the connection becomes terrible when it happens.