Question Constant Issue of "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

ALee01234

Commendable
Dec 22, 2020
Yesterday night, I started hearing the notification sound of a device connecting and disconnecting every other second. When checking 'Bluetooth & devices > Devices', I saw an unknown USB device that was showing up and disappearing/disconnecting pretty much every other second. It's cooled down now, and rarely connecting and disconnecting right now. For now, I've also lowered the System Sounds in my Volume Mixer so the notification sound isn't as annoying. I'm not sure what the issue is. I've tried several things:
  • Disconnecting things connected to the USB ports, then reconnecting them
  • Blowing compressed air into the USB ports
  • (The Malwarebytes custom scan recently showed nothing)
  • 'Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices', going to USB controllers, and uninstalling the unknown USB (this was really annoying since Device Manager was refreshing every other second when the USB was connecting and disconnecting)
  • Running chkdsk, as well as chkdsk c: (/f /r? I don't remember) -- both of which showed nothing wrong
  • Restarting my laptop
Here are some additional details that may or may not help!
  • In 'Device Manager > USB Controllers > Unknown USB > Properties > Details --> Property: Device Instance Path', the Value shown is "USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&39CC0E20&0&1"
    RgGEaEd.png
  • 054zKZR.png
  • p9K5Jmh.png

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU to your laptop would also help us two fold. Might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Following that, I'd try and reinstall your chipset/USB drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Speaking of chipset drivers, source them from your laptop's support site.

ALee01234

Commendable
Dec 22, 2020
Below are the specs. I checked for system updates through the Lenovo Vantage app and did end up updating for the AMD Chipset Driver 11 and Nvidia VGA Driver 11.

I'm looking at https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/. In the Manual Driver Update section, I only see 12 categories: Audio, BIOS/UEFI, Bluetooth and Modem, Camera and Card Reader, GPU and Server-AI Accelerators, Motherboard devices, Mouse and Keyboard, Networking: LAN, Networking: Wireless LAN, Power Management, Software and Utilities, ThinkVantage Technology. No USB section to be found -- which one might it be?

CT53cC6.png

TRENDING THREADS