[SOLVED] Constant Lag Spikes, But 0% Packet Loss

Apr 15, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've recently come across a problem that is making my gaming experience unplayable. Every minute or so, I get a lag spike that will rubber band me back and forth and returns back to normal a second later. This subtle lag spike really makes gaming frustrating and I cant figure out a fix.

I've monitored my packet loss in game and it stays at 0%. I've tried all the things I've read online about things you can do in command prompt to test for packet loss and response time, but everything is completely normal. DSLReports say that my connection is A+ for everything too. I have tried power cycling and fully resetting to factory on my router with no other devices connected to the internet, yet I still have lag spikes. Also, when I start experiencing these lag spikes, my ping doesn't shoot up and stays normal (maybe because it's so quick?) I have the Night Hawk XR500 Gaming Router, 360 download/90 upload, living in Las Vegas with COX internet.

If anyone can give any suggestions on what I can still try to fix this problem. Thank you.

Solution
After trying Chris' suggestions if it persists, try connecting directly to the modem and skip the router. If that solves it then the router is the problem, if not it may be your modem -- I've gone through 3 of them over the years where they just randomly start disconnecting or whatnot.
Apr 15, 2020
Hey! I've actually been having the same issues, I use a wired connection and for the past 2-3 weeks ive been getting constant lag spikes, i have been complaining to my isp and they sent a tech guy today and he just left. He told me all my connections were perfect. But he changed the connectors at the line and on my coax cables for my wall jack and switched out my modem..and changed the splitter... despite doing all that the lag spikes are still present, although my internet is alot better now.. So i told him this and he said its probably because everyone is in the house using the internet and stuff like that because of the quarantine so im thinking that might be the issue.

Apr 15, 2020
Hey! I've actually been having the same issues, I use a wired connection and for the past 2-3 weeks ive been getting constant lag spikes, i have been complaining to my isp and they sent a tech guy today and he just left. He told me all my connections were perfect. But he changed the connectors at the line and on my coax cables for my wall jack and switched out my modem..and changed the splitter... despite doing all that the lag spikes are still present, although my internet is alot better now.. So i told him this and he said its probably because everyone is in the house using the internet and stuff like that because of the quarantine so im thinking that might be the issue.
Forgot to mention that my connection was perfect and had no lag spikes at all for about 2 years up until these past few weeks.. and my signal has been pretty weak. After the tech guy left i noticed things ran faster and loaded quicker, the signal seems to be abit stronger aswell but the lag spikes are still there for some reason, so its very possible that it could just be the fact that everyone is at all and using their network

It depends on how fast your internet is. It is actually fairly hard to use over 100mbps other than when someone downloads. You need to make a effort to see what people in your house are actually doing and if you think you can exceed the bandwidth you purchased.

Apr 15, 2020
Forgot to mention that my connection was perfect and had no lag spikes at all for about 2 years up until these past few weeks.. and my signal has been pretty weak. After the tech guy left i noticed things ran faster and loaded quicker, the signal seems to be abit stronger aswell but the lag spikes are still there for some reason, so its very possible that it could just be the fact that everyone is at all and using their network
Thanks for the reply. I was honestly thinking thinking there was a chance that the lag is due to everyone being home at these times. The weird thing is that all of college buddies and I are home for the summer and they all use the cox and we all live within a 5 mile radius of each other, yet im the only one still having problems.

Apr 15, 2020
Also maybe this might help determine a fix?

Around when this started happening, I booted up my PC and my internet wasn't connecting. I ran the windows troubleshoot and it told me "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration ". This only affected my PC and no other devices in the house. I tried all the possible fixes all that day to fix it until my internet magically came back online to my PC.

Could this issue be a problem with just my hardware?

RealBeast

Titan
After trying Chris' suggestions if it persists, try connecting directly to the modem and skip the router. If that solves it then the router is the problem, if not it may be your modem -- I've gone through 3 of them over the years where they just randomly start disconnecting or whatnot.

Solution