Question Constant lag spikes in every game - 2018 Razer Blade 15 1070

remy2402

Commendable
Sep 27, 2019
Hey y'all,

I currently own a 2018 Razer Blade 15 with a GTX 1070-m in it. I love this machine and it goes great under normal conditions, haven't had much issue with it until recently. Every single game I play, I will get a huge lag spike that will cut the frame rate by 50-75% for a period of about 15 seconds of a time. These lag spikes only happen every 30 seconds or so, but are extremely noticeable and when they stop, the game goes back to normal awesome performance.
I've tried with many types of games, Space Engineers, AC Odyssey, Minecraft, PC Building Simulator and more. All give the same type of results.

I've tried:
  • Turning off all Xbox features in Windows 10
  • Reinstalling Nvidia drivers
  • Ensuring all games are using GPU and not internal graphics.
  • Resetting and wiping my computer completely
  • Running games with max fan speed on instead of auto.

Every time the game lags, my GPU usage in the task manager jumps right up to 100% even on easy to run titles such as PC Building Simulator. Here's an example:

mmX1a2P.png

The part that is circled, is where the lag spike stops. The high usage still originates from the game, but uses nowhere near as much when it is running at the normal frame rate.

If you need any more information or have any more questions, please let me know. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Thanks in advance