Question Constant Lag Spikes On Wired Connection

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
About 5 days ago whenever I was playing a game I would get these random lag spikes and its been going non stop. I asked if anyone else on my internet was having these issues but no one else had them. I did a speed test on my computer and compared it to another computer. I was getting around 40mbps and the other computer was getting 250mbps. I thought the problem was maybe a bad port on my router so I switched where each ethernet cable was plugged in yet my pc was still not at the same speeds as the other. So naturally I thought it was my ethernet cable. I bought a new cable plugged it in, ran the speed test, and nothing changed. I looked into it and found a command line that fixed my slow speeds. I thought that would fix the problem but when I was playing a game I still got the lag spikes. That's where I stopped and came here for help. My best guess is that my ethernet port on my computer is broken but I really don't want to buy a whole new motherboard. Hopefully there's something I'm missing that will fix the issue.

TLDR: Switched cables, switched ports, fixed internet speeds, yet I still have lag spikes.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your router? See if the router has an firmware updates pending. Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might also want to see which BIOS version you're on for your PC. I'm assuming PC since some folks like to tag their desktop or laptop as a PC.

If it's a PC, please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

If it's a laptop, include the make and model and SKU for the laptop.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your NIC's drivers manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

NoelFN

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your router? See if the router has an firmware updates pending. Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might also want to see which BIOS version you're on for your PC. I'm assuming PC since some folks like to tag their desktop or laptop as a PC.

If it's a PC, please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

If it's a laptop, include the make and model and SKU for the laptop.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your NIC's drivers manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
My router model is Sagecom F@st 5260. I’m not at my pc right now but I just recently updated it. Fairly certain my bios version is 7B48v2B on my msi z-370 a-pro motherboard.
CPU: i7 9700
GPU: Gtx 1060 6gb
Motherboard: Msi Z-370 A Pro
Ram: 16gb ddr4
HDD/SSD: 1TB WD blue hard drive, 2TB sea gate barracuda hard drive, 120 GB ssd sandisk, 240 GB ssd sandisk
PSU: 500W evga
Where do I find my NIC drivers?