Question Constant lockups and BSODs

fstm24

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hi all,

Apologies if this in the wrong section. My gaming PC for as long as I've owned it has been extremely unreliable, randomly and unpredictably locking up and requiring a hard reset (not always with a BSOD.) The most common BSODs I get are Unexpected_Store_Exception and Critical_Process_Died. These crashes can happen multiple times in the scale of a few minutes or not happen for several hours or even days. Usually they occur when gaming or downloading something, with occasional crashes when left idle or just watching something. At first I thought it was a PSU issue as my PSU had a faulty fan. I replaced the PSU with an improved model and the crashes continued. I have reset and reinstalled windows twice now to no avail. RAM checks and hard drive checks again show no problems.

Specifications:

Motherboard- Z270P-D3
Processor- i7-7700k
GPU- GTX 1080 Ti EVGA FTW3
RAM- 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz
SSD- Kingston 960GB HyperX Savage 2.5"
HDD- SATA-III 2TB
PSU- Corsair VS750 750W

Any help would be appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which hard drive tests? have you run chkdsk
did you run memtest on ram?

critical process died only affects 2 types of windows files, those that run your user, and those used for booting.
Unexpected store exception isn't as easy to identify.

what USB devices do you have?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

fstm24

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
which hard drive tests? have you run chkdsk
did you run memtest on ram?

critical process died only affects 2 types of windows files, those that run your user, and those used for booting.
Unexpected store exception isn't as easy to identify.

what USB devices do you have?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Hi, thanks for the reply. To add another one to the list, recently had a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD.

As for my USB devices, just my keyboard (Blackwidow Chroma) and mouse (Deathadder) along with a USB wireless adapter (Which I can discount as the cause, as the problems were occurring before I ever used it).

I followed the steps you listed to generate minidumps. After my most recent BSOD I tried to find the minidump folder but it does not appears to have generated.

I believe memory_management is related to RAM but my most recent pass with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool revealed no problems.

fstm24

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Memory Management can be drivers as well. Could also be storage drives too as windows sees those as memory too if page file is on one of them.

run this and check you have latest firmware and ssd is healthy - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager

what brand is hdd?

latest version of synapse installed?

According to Kingston SSD Manager, the drive is in good health and firmware up to date. There is an unknown partition of 1.3GB- I have no idea why this is there, could that be indicative of anything?

My HDD is a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006. I can probably cross it out as a culprit since I had it removed for a while and the problem persisted.

Yes, Synapse is up to date.

Colif

Win 11 Master
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/130536/windows-does-not-save-memory-dump-file-after-a-crash - see if any of these reasons are why you not getting dumps

Do you have latest bios for motherboard? Have you run the App centre on PC and checked you have latest drivers. If you don't have App centre, try the top link in the utility menu here - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-Z270P-D3-rev-10#support-dl-utility

could try running https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

try memtest as well as WIndows memory tester might miss problems - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

PSU should be okay since the errors happened with old PSU as well.