Constant logging off

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but I'm a total newbie at this.

ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX770 GPU
Intel i7-4770k CPU
Drive C: Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD
Drive D: WD2500AVJS HDD
GSKILL Trident X 32GB memory XMP enabled
Corsair H100i CPU cooler
Corsair RM750 PSU
Windows 8.1

This is my first build and everything was going fine for about 3 weeks. I have had Rise of Flight and Napoleon:Total War loaded and both played okay. I was considering overclocking at a later date if I felt I needed it but the system is pretty stock at the moment. I was playing Napoleon when the PC logged off by itself back to the signin page. If I try to get either game going again through the desktop icons it logs off again after about 5 secs of loading. This happens whether the PC has been on for 2 mins or 2 hrs.
The temps look okay with the CPU at 24C and MB at 28C.

All drivers have been updated.

The memory sticks have been reseated and I've tried each game individually with either 1, 2 or 4 mem sticks in place. I've also run a MemTest 86 check which came back with no errors.

The internet performs ok which made me wonder if it was a memory fault that only affected a program that was loaded on.

I've tried several refreshes and resets as there is nothing of value on the computer yet with no luck.
So could do with some pearls of wisdom otherwise my first build may be my last.

Thanks
Chris

Solution
it depends on what you mean by "pc logged off"
do you mean that the machine did a orderly shutdown ? like you told it to shutdown. Did the machine seem to ignore the fact that you were using it and just go to sleep? did the machine bugcheck and show a error and reboot and bring you to the login screen. Did the screen go black, and the system start up again and go to the login screen?

my guess it is the last case, you are playing a game the screen goes black for 8 seconds and then shows the login screen.
It would be caused by improper power to the graphics card causing the power_good signal on the power supply to tell the motherboard to tell the CPU to reset and force a reboot. Your power supply should be good, so I would check to...
it depends on what you mean by "pc logged off"
do you mean that the machine did a orderly shutdown ? like you told it to shutdown. Did the machine seem to ignore the fact that you were using it and just go to sleep? did the machine bugcheck and show a error and reboot and bring you to the login screen. Did the screen go black, and the system start up again and go to the login screen?

my guess it is the last case, you are playing a game the screen goes black for 8 seconds and then shows the login screen.
It would be caused by improper power to the graphics card causing the power_good signal on the power supply to tell the motherboard to tell the CPU to reset and force a reboot. Your power supply should be good, so I would check to make sure the supplemental power connections from the power supply to the graphics card are properly connected.

Solution

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Hi JohnBl,

Yes it was the last option of screen going black and then back to the login screen. Reseated all the power connections and - it works. Thanks very much for putting me straight as I wouldn't have gone for that solution. Pity they aren't all like that.
Cheers
Chris