Constant Nvidia display driver crash/recovery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

parsnips

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
First let me apologise - I used to be fairly computer saavy, but I've lost touch over the years. I'll probably need you to explain things more than usual.

I built my first desktop in years last week, and at first everything seemed absolutely fine. Then, I installed a game (Sims 3) and played it yesterday. At first that was fine, too, but after a few hours my graphics driver would stop responding, then recover. This happened whenever I scrolled out to map view, which I assume is more taxing. Annoying, but it always came right back, so I figured it was a game problem and didn't worry.

Then I quit the game and in the course of normal use - browsing the internet, checking email, sitting staring at the screen in despair - I was getting constant failures. Every other minute the graphics drivers would stop and recover, no matter what I was doing.

I rolled back the drivers. I did clean installs of yet older drivers. I rebooted. I took out the card, then reseated it and made sure all the connections were sound.

Nothing I've tried has helped, and I don't know what to do.

Windows 7 Home Premium
EVGA GTX 770 GeForce
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze Modular PFC

Event viewer calls it Event 4101.
I'm not sure what other information might help. I'm at my wit's end.

khele

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
This happens to me with dx11 games on my EVGA GTX 780 card. The card is a Superclocked version. I had the same thing happen to me with my previous Gigabyte GTX580. What always fixes things for me is bumping the voltage on the card up by 5-10MV.

Xavier MALPARTY

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

Works for Me !!! =D
-> i7-4770S (3.1GHz)
-> NVidia GeForce GT-620
-> 2x4Go 1600MHz
-> Win8.1

Thanks a lot, I was getting crazy with that!! =)

Sl0TR

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

How do you change from 3.0 to 2.0?!