[SOLVED] Constant problems installing bootable Window 10 USB on new Patriot Burst SSD.

kenshi64

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hello everyone!

I've been having a nightmare of a time trying to do a fresh install of windows 10 on my Patriot Burst SSD 480GB (laptop is Lenovo B51-80). I have spent hours utilizing different solutions and methods to my problems- I currently have a less than ideal installation on my machine, but I fear for the stability of it, so I'd like to install it correctly- will elaborate later in the post.

1. The initial approach was to try and clone the system partitions with a cloning tool. This approach failed.
  2. We then tried to a cloning tool to migrate the OS to the new SSD- no program was effective including Macrium
  3. Finally I decided that a fresh install from a bootable USB would be the ideal way to go.
    1. Initially the installed failed because the SSD was not formatted as GPT
    2. Later after formatting it as GPT using diskpart,clean,convert it presented a new problem: a 480gb SSD was showing as a 2048GB SSD
      AuF2kY5.jpg
    3. Performing a diskpart,clean, without convert gpt fixes the size problem. However the drive is now unusable as well. With three new errors in lieu of the single GPT format missing error previously seen.
      DwJK8cm.jpg
    4. Finally the solution that got me somewhere was to use diskpart,clean, create paritition primary, ntfs. assign etc. However now I was faced with a new error that said ' We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one'.
    5. To troubleshoot this I used this windows thread. What the top answer recommends is that you copy contents from the bootable USB to the target drive through command prompt during installation and then Windows should automatically begin to install form the SSD on the next start.
    6. This worked....partially. At first I had to go into my BIOS and make the boot order Legacy first, although my SSD didn't show up under Legacy or EFI.
    7. However the video shows that the windows bootable installation should be on a separate partition of my SSD- in my case there were no partitions visible, just my SSD. So I selected it.
    8. The OS installed, I am currently typing from the same machine, However since the SSD contained the bootable windows installation, on startup I get two boot options 'Install Windows' Or 'Run WIndows'. In a last ditch effort I tried deleting the bootable installation files but the Install Windows option still shows. Which is why I think this is a bit of an unstable installation and would like to repeat it.
      Qt6XfBN.jpg
I sincerely hope someone can help, I am at the end of my patience and have used all possible solutions.

Solution
Right click on start and click run.....in the box type msconfig....clicl ok.....in the box, at top click boot option....remove the option you don't want and click ok.....leaving the windows 10 option....reboot..

sc2lines

Great
Dec 13, 2019
Right click on start and click run.....in the box type msconfig....clicl ok.....in the box, at top click boot option....remove the option you don't want and click ok.....leaving the windows 10 option....reboot..

Solution

kenshi64

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Thank you! That solved that problem! Any idea what why the usb boot drive did not copy as a partition to my SSD? In the video on the windows support forum that's what happens. (See bullet 5)

Latest posts