[SOLVED] Constant problems upgrading windows

TJuggo

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
I have always had problems trying to upgrade windows, sometimes it works, sometimes it gets stuck.

I have recently upgraded my CPU, motherboard and ram and I have also installed a new SSD.

I want to use my SSD for Windows and all of my applications and my HDD for storage. I looked into cloning windows over but before that I wanted to back up my old hard drive.

When I went to use Windows back up on the control panel it was saying I had Windows 7, when I looked on my about section on settings it says I have windows 10. I thought this could be because I have always had problems with upgrading that caused this. I tried to upgrade again last night and when my pc booted up, I couldn't log in. The next morning I booted up my pc and everything seems fine, it still says my windows upgrade had failed though.

My question is shall I troubleshoot my windows upgrade, use another back up software and clone to my SDD or do a complete fresh install of Windows?

I am also having another issue where my CPU is always maxing at 100% even when I have no applications open, I'm hoping with moving windows to my SSD and getting the upgrade to work this could solve the issue.

Sorry my message is so long, would appreciate any help.

Solution
When you change the motherboard, Windows should be reinstalled from scratch.

Note:

"When I went to use Windows back up on the control panel it was saying I had Windows 7"

It's not saying you have Windows 7. It's just telling you that the Backup & Restore in Windows 10 is the same one that was originally written for Windows 7. It says that on everybody's Windows 10 -- it's normal.
When you change the motherboard, Windows should be reinstalled from scratch.

Note:

"When I went to use Windows back up on the control panel it was saying I had Windows 7"

It's not saying you have Windows 7. It's just telling you that the Backup & Restore in Windows 10 is the same one that was originally written for Windows 7. It says that on everybody's Windows 10 -- it's normal.

Solution