Question Constant Radeon WattMan crashes ?

Oct 21, 2021
My pc will randomly crash when gaming and sometimes even as the game is opening it will crash. When I restart my pc there's a notification saying that default Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure. The issue seemed to happen once I started to mine bitcoin, although I kept a close eye on temps and it rarely went past 80 degrees and often sat around 70 degrees. Also, as the crashes began to happen I kept an eye on temps, and even during intense gaming the GPU never went above 65 degrees yet it still crashed.

I have opened the GPU up a few times to replace thermal paste and pads etc. and I was wondering if maybe I could've done something when opening the gpu that could have caused all the crashes? I have replaced thermal paste (with high quality arctic silver), I have reinstalled drivers with drivers only (no software), and I even got a new pc and tried it out on that one and the crashes still occur. Another thing to note, is that I have a wattage monitor plugged in and it never went above 200 watts.

PC #1 Specs (PC was about 1 year old when the crashes began):
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM: 32gb ddr4 3200Mhz
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra
PSU: Corsair RMX 750 X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 (Recently upgraded to a 3070 ti and the crashes stopped)

PC #2 Specs (brand new build):
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: 32gb ddr4 3600MHz
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi
PSU: Corsair RM 750 X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700

Thanks for the help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS