Otayzilla

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 5700 and Gateway FSP450-60EP
Both monitors are affected, both monitors set to 60 hz

Screen tearing is affecting everything from games to youtube videos to dvds.

I tried enabling vsync with catalyst control center, and it did not prevent the screen tearing. An interesting note however, enabling vsync did prevent me from being able to take screenshots of the screen tearing! One of my games is affected more than anything else. Every single frame is always torn, which makes it easy to grab screenshots, but after I enabled vsync I couldn't take screenshots of the tearing anymore.

I tried downloading D3DOverrider, which I set to force vsync and triple buffering on all applications, still nothing.

Another thing I should mention, is that my GPU is 3 years old. In the last three years of owning this computer, I haven't left it off for more than an hour (I now know this is incredibly irresponsible of me.) Is it possible that the screen tearing is from the GPU being burned out? It was literally at 100 C everyday for about a year until I figured out how to clean the dust from it.

I would test whether the tearing happens with my onboard graphics card, but there is literally no option in my bios to enable it. If I simply take out my ATI GPU, the computer refuses to start (1 long beep, 2 short beeps, graphics card error)

Thanks for reading

bl00dyMurd3r

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I wouldn't bother with vsync in catalyst, it never seems to work. I always have to use vsync options in games but it works fine then.

Try using vsync settings in games and see if the tearing is still there

As said above, use Vsync settings available in game, the CCC override doesn't always work.

Alternatively, you can download RivaTuner and use a program it includes called Direct3DOverrider. It allows you to force Vsync on applications you select. It is a useful tool for games that don't include a proper Vsync option eg. Borderlands or games where the built in Vsync option is horribly broken, eg. Dead Space.