Constant slowdown and occasional freezing

Jan 20, 2019
Recently my computer has been gradually slowing down. Games i could run previously now run at sub 60 frames no matter the graphics settings.

While doing anything occasionally the computer will freeze and one of two things will happen:
The audio will keep playing like normal or
The audio will loop incredibly fast

The audio looping sounds exactly the same as a crash however the computer remains on and recovers a few seconds later.

I have updated my gpu and cpu drivers as well as stress tested the gpu and cpu. I've run memtest and chkdsk. None of these have presented a problem.

I'm unsure if its related but to turn my system on or wake it up i need to quickly flick the psu switch off then on.

Specs are:
i5-6600k
1060 6gb
Gigabyte Z170-D3H-CF
8 gigs of ram
boots from an ssd

Jan 20, 2019
It's still not running as fast as it was before but the most recent problems being the freezing and most of the slowdown appear to be gone. It would make sense as these only appeared after i reinstalled windows. i cant believe i forgot to do that though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'd be surprised at just how many do skip that, windows has generic drivers for everything, so it all works, sorta, after reset/reinstall but that same teset/reinstall also wipes out every non-windows stock driver on the drivers folder. Then you play a game and the mobo goes looking for msound.xxx and it's not there and you get a conflict that's either going to freeze the pc or hang it up until it's resolved by generic drivers. Real pita. That goes for lan, USB family, Sata drivers too. Even a bios update is sometimes now needed to deal with Win10CE changes.