Constant spikes in ping only on my PC

Aug 12, 2018
Hi, I've been having this issue for a few months now. Every few seconds I get massive spikes in ping. It seems like it only happens on my laptop. I can see these ping spikes in my games, when I'm working, or browsing the web. I've tried: Changing Wi-Fi Channels, Bringing my laptop closer to the router, switching to 5ghz, restarting my computer, blocking applications, ccleaner, etc.

Here are the results on meter.net
ef7545934db9f2ef647bdd272b250afb.png

They seem to happen every few seconds. I've checked with other devices in the house, they don't have the same issue.

My Internet speed is fine.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7547117980

Aug 12, 2018

sorry, my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port :(

Well your best bet is to start monitoring your laptop's network activity, and see if there's something on it that might be causing it. Install Wireshark and see if you can tie the spikes to any log activity.

Failing that, get a USB wifi adapter and see if you get a non-spikey connection with that.

make sure you have the newest wifi drivers for your laptop wifi card. if the unit out of warranty you can try and flip the unit over and check with power and battery out that the wifi card is still locked in to the mb. if it under warranty and it not a software issue have the vendor replace the card.

Aug 12, 2018

I got Wireshark, how do I use it to analyze spikes?

Solution
Aug 12, 2018

okay, so I found that whenever my ping spikes, I get these errors in the log:
565f78872eda142c33f8939aa4805a42.png

the TCP Retransmissions are causing the ping spikes. Which are caused by a congestion. I can't find whats causing the congestion though. any help?

Might be Roblox. :)

Seriously, test away from gaming servers, as they are unreliable for consistent pings. Your OP stated "in my games, when I'm working, or browsing the web". I would suggest browsing a few sites that are known to be reliably fast (and if possible with little or no video or imagary). Reddit or stack exchange threads are good. Maybe older, less bloated forums. Something with low latency and less traffic, so you can really spots the spikes.

It might be that some gaming servers are the trigger (or the cause).

Aug 19, 2018

But... I have nothing open when I test my ping. I close all applications and I use Killer Network Manager to block all other applications except Chrome. I think it’s a process hidden in my computer causing spikes.

Aug 12, 2018

Sorry, that's my other account. I accidentally logged in with Google.