[SOLVED] Constant stuttering and freezing in almost all games.

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
So i bought this new grahpic card and installed the latest driver and everything but had some issues such as stuttering and freezing in modern games like

the witcher 3
Rise of the tomb raider
Assassin's Creed Syndicate

it goes from 60 fps to 21 in certain places, if i had a gun and started to aim it stutter, or if i started to shake my camera or running it stutters, and this really annoyed me and spent a lot of time looking up fixes for it and I was never able to fix it, it's literately unplayable
my desktop gets really slow when i alt-tab

quick specs : Rx580 OC, i5 4460, 8gb ddr3 1600Mhz, 1Tb hdd

Any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZbnZDex

Solution
but the game is only using 3gb vram sometimes 2 as you can see in the screenshot, and if it was using full 4gb vram the gpu would be at 100% not 50% right?
GPU utilization and VRAM utilization are two different things, just like CPU usage and RAM usage are different things - a GPU has a processor inside it, and the GPU usage is the usage of that processor, while VRAM usage is the 4 GB on your RX 580, which may or may not be used fully when the GPU is at 100% utilization, depends on how big the textures for the game you're running are. If your VRAM usage is only 2 GB, then the GPU is not the problem here, and lowering settings most likely will not help. Low GPU usage means that either the CPU or some other component is limiting...
Check for malware with Malwarebytes, and if there's nothing, I would recommend reinstalling Windows or at least uninstalling additional apps you won't use, and running software like CCleaner to clean up trash files and/or processes using up your RAM. But, these newer games can indeed use more than 8 GB RAM, especially assassin's creed and tomb raider, so that's where the major problem is.

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
Check for malware with Malwarebytes, and if there's nothing, I would recommend reinstalling Windows or at least uninstalling additional apps you won't use, and running software like CCleaner to clean up trash files and/or processes using up your RAM. But, these newer games can indeed use more than 8 GB RAM, especially assassin's creed and tomb raider, so that's where the major problem is.
i just installed a new windows and it did the same stuttering with the old windows, i'll check for malware. Edit : i checked with malwarebytes and ccleaner and the game still stutters.

Last edited:
but the game is only using 3gb vram sometimes 2 as you can see in the screenshot, and if it was using full 4gb vram the gpu would be at 100% not 50% right?
GPU utilization and VRAM utilization are two different things, just like CPU usage and RAM usage are different things - a GPU has a processor inside it, and the GPU usage is the usage of that processor, while VRAM usage is the 4 GB on your RX 580, which may or may not be used fully when the GPU is at 100% utilization, depends on how big the textures for the game you're running are. If your VRAM usage is only 2 GB, then the GPU is not the problem here, and lowering settings most likely will not help. Low GPU usage means that either the CPU or some other component is limiting your performance, and unfortunately you can only fix that by upgrading your system. If you don't plan on/have the budget for a full system overhaul to a modern platform right now, I'd definitely suggest investing in 16 GB RAM, since the games you've listed are modern AAA titles and they do require 16 GB RAM for smooth operation. The problem could lie somewhere else too, like a slow/old hard drive on which the games are present, which means the textures are not loading into the VRAM quickly enough, hence causing stuttering, but usually slow hard drives will cause such problems only after you've been playing the game for some time, and have entered a new area, someplace with different textures than what was originally loaded into the VRAM.

Solution

naruto66

Prominent
Jun 18, 2019
www.reddit.com
GPU utilization and VRAM utilization are two different things, just like CPU usage and RAM usage are different things - a GPU has a processor inside it, and the GPU usage is the usage of that processor, while VRAM usage is the 4 GB on your RX 580, which may or may not be used fully when the GPU is at 100% utilization, depends on how big the textures for the game you're running are. If your VRAM usage is only 2 GB, then the GPU is not the problem here, and lowering settings most likely will not help. Low GPU usage means that either the CPU or some other component is limiting your performance, and unfortunately you can only fix that by upgrading your system. If you don't plan on/have the budget for a full system overhaul to a modern platform right now, I'd definitely suggest investing in 16 GB RAM, since the games you've listed are modern AAA titles and they do require 16 GB RAM for smooth operation. The problem could lie somewhere else too, like a slow/old hard drive on which the games are present, which means the textures are not loading into the VRAM quickly enough, hence causing stuttering, but usually slow hard drives will cause such problems only after you've been playing the game for some time, and have entered a new area, someplace with different textures than what was originally loaded into the VRAM.
thank you, i'll look for a new system that doesn't bottlneck my gpu,
it could be the ram becuase it was using 5gb while the other 3 was on standby so it's technically full usage, i also looked at the cpu and the gpu graph it was spiking but the usage was 65% and the gpu was 40% does that mean the ram is the main problem here? also my hdd is really old it also could be effecting the problem.

View: https://imgur.com/a/YpGH3gR

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
Hey guys I have pretty much the same issue my game lags and stutters even with no internet issues
My specs are
I7-6700k
RTX 2060
32 gb of corsair vengeance rgb ram
Asus z170 pro gaming aura
Ax760
Have lightning node with corsairs rgb fans light strips
Samsung evo 860
CPU cooling is the hi100
WD hdd