Constant stuttering tried EVERYTHING PLEASE HELP

cheungmy0717

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019
Hi everyone I've been having these stuttering problems ever since I changed my 60hz for a 144hz gsync one. The game would run smoothly for 3 seconds and then a stutter but the fps still stays well above 100, and this gets worse on bf5 where the fps stays above 80 but the game looks like it's running 30fps. please help
My rig:
rtx 2080
i7 6700k (Overclocked to 4.7 GHz and watercooled by nzxt kraken x62)
16GB DDR4 hyperx fury
Acer predator XB271HU 144hz gysnc monitor

Lutfij

Titan
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

FYI, the thread title says that you've tried everything. Might want to state what you've tried so we're not running around in circles?

Are you on the latest GPU drivers? See if uninstalling and reinstalling them(with the latest versions) changes anything for you. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Also note if the issue is with a certain number of games only.

cheungmy0717

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019
CPU: i7 6700k 4.7GHz
Motherboard: Maximus Hero VIII
Ram: HyperX Fury 8x2 GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, Toshiba DT01ACA300 2TB HDD
GPU: ROG Strix RTX2080 O8G Gaming
PSU: SilverStone 1000W
Chassis: NZXT H500
1. I've updated Windows to the latest version
2. I've updated BIOS to the latest version
3. I've updated my video card drivers to the latest version
4. I've disabled V-Sync in-game (Although I know that's useless since G-sync overrides the settings)
5. tried reinstalling the game (BF5)
Other fixes I've forgotten, why don't we pretend I'm an idiot and try to rule out the problems by giving potential fixes and I'll tell you if I've done said fixes or not. Many thanks in advance for your help
I used a console command in BF5 to check cpu and gpu latency and I always see the CPU line spiking constantly and even sometimes dragging the GPU up, causing a BIG stutter. My CPU usage is also dangerously high most of the time in game, averaging 80-90% usage and peaking at 100% while my GPU is staying at 70-99%. The framerate is also well above 80 and sometimes even 120 but the game feels like it's running at 30fps because of the CPU spikes.
I suspect it's a CPU bottleneck judging by the lagging frame time??

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
have you checked your CPu temps, you clearly have it overclocked.
if your hitting the thermal limits which is very likely considering the overclock and the high usage then that could be causing your massive stutters .
i supspect your aio cooler is not keeping up with it enough.

At the clockspeed your running there should be no bottleneck with that CPU.

cheungmy0717

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019
I'm not using an air cooler I'm using an NZXT Kraken x62 which is a decent water cooler, but the temperatures does get to 50-70 and peaks at 72, which is the intel cpu safety limit.

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

AIO is a water cooler it stands for all in one.
It shouldnt throttle at 72 c my thought was if it was then it would dial itself down.
can i ask what resolution you are using and what in game settings ...realisticaly you should be able to smash ultra settings at 1080p , are you going for higher resolutions ?
also what are you running while you play ? are you using any ram intensive applications ?.
Have you run misi afterburner in game to see what your usage is on ram cpu and gpu ? that might give a bit more insight.

cheungmy0717

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019

cheungmy0717

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019
Sorry I thought it was a typo when you said AIO in small letters because in my head I paid a good amount for that cooler and it should be enough. Well let's use the worst performing game as an example. I run BF5 at ultra settings dx11 (dx12 stutters even more) without ray tracing at 1440p. I've taken suggestions to turn on V sync(and gsync at the same time) in the Nvidia CP but disable it in game and also limit the in game refresh rate to 120Hz( which is lower than my monitor's) it helped a little bit the spikes are still there

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

I would say start again at medium settings see how it runs and work your way back up to ultra and see at what point it starts to freak out.
after a bit of looking it seems that a lot of very intensive games have problems with gsync at high resolutions.
its supposed to be foolproof of course but like everything it isnt.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stutters are caused by fps count. When fps reaches 144 or very close, the monitor will refresh at 144x a second and the game will fill each frame 1-1. If there's even a slight deviation for whatever reason, then the monitor will still refresh, but not having a frame waiting in the gpu buffer, the monitor will refresh the exact same frame, waiting on the buffer to fill. So you see motion stutters. G-Sync was designed to dynamically change your monitors refresh on the fly to match the fps output, so can bounce between 100fps and 144fps and you'd not see a difference as the output view would be flawless, you'd only see a difference if running a benchmark log.

Resolution is all about the gpu, nothing to do with cpu, fps limits are all cpu. So if you are getting stutters, it's because the cpu is right at 144fps, not the gpu. Seen as no change no matter detail settings.

2 things I'd try. First is make sure that the motherboard chipset drivers are all current. They are found in the same place as the bios updates. Second, in nvidia cp global settings change pre-rendered frames from 3 to 1. That should bump up the available fps limit so the gpu isn't starved at @144 fps.

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

Would it be better then to run on hdmi to limit the frames to 120 then ? then it cant send 144 frames.