Question Constant USB Storage Devices Disconnecting + Windows Event Errors

EllieBunnyKiller

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Any USB storage device that I attach to my Windows 10 PC will constantly make the USB disconnected sound. If I'm using the storage devices when this error occurs, the entire PC freezes. Sometimes it recover, sometimes it does't. These same storage devices have NO ISSUES AT ALL on other PCs. I've tried:

• Uninstalling and re-installing USB drivers
  • Preventing Windows from turning off the drives to conserve power in both power options and device manager under USB Root Hub
  • Windows repair install
  • Scanning for hardware changes on my PC in device manager
  • Running USB device troubleshooter

These are the events I get in event viewer. It tends to cycle between them.

• (Warning) An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\DR17 during a paging operation.
  • (Information) Event ID 98: Volume F: (\Device\HarddiskVolume32) is healthy. No action is needed.
  • Source NTFS: Event ID: 50
    {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
  • Source: DistributedCOM. Event ID: 10016
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user yada\yada SID (S-1-5-21-1254899421-1163136139-188124452-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool

I need to get work done using my external hard drives, but am too afraid to do so. I'm worried it will finally just mess up one of the hard drives. I'm using two external hard drives + a USB SD card reader. I get these errors if any one of these are plugged in, even by itself.

This started when? Was there some update from WIndows? Has this always happened? Happens on all the ports? Happens only with storage devices? So keyboard/mouse all work normally on same ports?

You may want to do a clean Windows setup or at least check for a restore point to before the issue started.

TRENDING THREADS