[SOLVED] Constant white LED on Motherboard

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi so i just got myself a new monitor today and i have just noticed that there is a constant white light on my motherboard
Everything seems to be running fine no issues during gameplay or anything but it never happened before but today after i got a new monitor it's staying constantly on. Also i used to use HDMI port but for this new monitor i have used Display port could it be somehow related to this ?
Is this normal ?
My motherboard is Asus TUF Gaming Plus
Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
My monitor model is msi optix mag274qrf and by full potential i mean using 165hz instead of just 144hz with HDMI cable.
but if the monitor was faulty lets suppose then it would give the white light with HDMI as well right ?
and does HDMI to DP adapter gives 165hz ?
I had a power outage here earlier today and noticed my white vga light was on too. I looked up some similar problems. A restart fixed my problem thankfully. But through what I have gathered, it is definitely tied to the displayport interface.

Some people have used "Nvidia DisplayPort Firmware Update" tool. Just google if you wanna know about it.

Others simply need their monitor/tv turned on BEFORE the pc system turns on.

Others have unplugged the displayport...

Ralston18

Titan
Check the motherboard's version and find the serial number.

Go the Asus website and look for the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Identify what that white light (probably an LED) is and what the light means: first by being "lit" and second by "color" (white).

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Check the motherboard's version and find the serial number.

Go the Asus website and look for the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Identify what that white light (probably an LED) is and what the light means: first by being "lit" and second by "color" (white).

Hi so basically i dug down deep and found out that it was my display port which was messing up i have switched back to Hdmi and the white light is gone but without display port i can't use the full potential of my monitor.

My monitor is using 1.2 display port version
My gpu is rtx 3080
Resolution is 1440p
and refresh rate is 165hz

In case that helps ?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model new monitor?

What configuration (HDMI) are you now using and what "full potential" configuration (DP) do you want to use?

As you had to do with respect to digging down deep to discover that the DP connection was the "culprit" you will have to dig even further.

Could well be that the new monitor or some other component simply does not support the required "full potential".

Perhaps a HDMI to DP adapter could help.

For example purposes only - not a solution or recommendation per se. Details matter.)

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Converter-FOINNEX-Adapter-Powered/dp/B07G796JF8

You can find similar products very easily.

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Make and model new monitor?

What configuration (HDMI) are you now using and what "full potential" configuration (DP) do you want to use?

As you had to do with respect to digging down deep to discover that the DP connection was the "culprit" you will have to dig even further.

Could well be that the new monitor or some other component simply does not support the required "full potential".

Perhaps a HDMI to DP adapter could help.

For example purposes only - not a solution or recommendation per se. Details matter.)

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Converter-FOINNEX-Adapter-Powered/dp/B07G796JF8

You can find similar products very easily.

My monitor model is msi optix mag274qrf and by full potential i mean using 165hz instead of just 144hz with HDMI cable.
but if the monitor was faulty lets suppose then it would give the white light with HDMI as well right ?

Ralston18

Titan
According to specs, the monitor supports up to 165 MHz. Type C, DP alt.

Reference:

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD/Specification

Which in turn, led to following links (and others):

https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/usb-c-introduction-what-is-dp-alt-mode.html

https://www.club-3d.com/en/technology/15/usb_c_over_alt_mode/

I found the monitor's User Manual:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/monitor/Optix_MAG274QRF_MAG274QRF-QDv1.0_English.pdf

(Verify that I did indeed find the correct manual.)

Refer to the manual to check that the host computer is connected to the correct monitor port (Type-C per physically numbered Page 7). If that is the desired/required connectivity.

Check that the monitor is correctly configured via the OSD menus starting on Page 10.

Also verify that you are using the correct video cable between the applicable graphic/video ports on the computer and monitor.

The video cable may not be correct, faulty, or even if appropriately labeled, is a fake.

= = = =

And remember to check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to determine the meaning of the white LED.

Jun 22, 2021
I had a power outage here earlier today and noticed my white vga light was on too. I looked up some similar problems. A restart fixed my problem thankfully. But through what I have gathered, it is definitely tied to the displayport interface.

Some people have used "Nvidia DisplayPort Firmware Update" tool. Just google if you wanna know about it.

Others have unplugged the displayport cord, connected thru hdmi on card or on motherboard, then updated bios to fix their problem.

No one has mentioned switching out displayport cables. No one has mentioned trying different displayport outputs on the gpu. No one has mentioned switching their power supply pcie cables, or switching the entire power supply out.

You should not need to buy any adapter of any kind. It would just be a waste of money. HDMI has a Standard. That standard is on your graphics card. HDMI 2.1 can do 120fps at 4k, 240fps at 2K. DisplayPort has a Standard. That standard is on your graphics card. DP 1.4 can do UP TO 144fps at 4K, 280fps at 2K.

Your Monitor can do UP TO a DisplayPort 1.2a Standard.
Your Monitor can do UP TO a HDMI 2.0b Standard.
DisplayPort 1.2a is 165fps at 2K
HDMI 2.0b does 144fps at 2K

These are the things your monitor CAN do. But if you're gpu is HDMI 1.4 standard it won't do you much good. Make sure all 3 LINKS in the chain are compatible. Make sure GPU is DP 1.2a at least. Make sure your DP cable is 1.2a at least. Make sure your monitor is 1.2a at least. If you want the DP 1.2a experience. If you lower any of those 3 things, the whole link lowers with it. If you are using a 1.1 DP cable, you will get a 1.1 experience.

I know you want your new monitor to perform its best. But as far as I can tell, no one knows for sure why the white light comes on and stays on. Often everything else works fine, just the light stays on.

If you try all the above and still get no relief, I would suggest just 2 options. One: You just get used to having the annoyingly bright light on and play the hell out of your setup and don't care what your motherboard says. Or Two: You just use the HDMI and do not worry about the extra 25 fps that your eye won't miss anyway, because 144 is frickin fast enough. It's up to you. I own a 2K 165fps myself. But I hardly ever turn it up to 165. I keep it on 120 just to be easier on the monitor and the machine that runs it. But it's all personal preference. I hope you have good luck with it.

Solution
So? Got anything actually helpful to add for the dude? No? Just wanna nitpick about a arbitrary label we use to understand something? Ok.
Not really. Changing cables might very likely be the "solution" but a white LED being lit is hardly something I'd worry about either if it seems to be working fine otherwise. After all, it seems to me that 165Hz refresh rates and gaming at FpS levels to match that it's in the rarified world of 'golden eye' discernment anyway. But if he does 'lose' 25Hz of refresh rate by using HDMI it doesn't mean he's losing 25FpS.

I'd not worry either way, personally.

Last edited:

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I got the issues sorted the other day it was related to the DP a guy on the forum said that i should plug it out and power the PC without the DP cable and plug it back in and i did the same thing and it got fixed.

Others have unplugged the displayport cord, connected thru hdmi on card or on motherboard, then updated bios to fix their problem.

No one has mentioned switching out displayport cables. No one has mentioned trying different displayport outputs on the gpu. No one has mentioned switching their power supply pcie cables, or switching the entire power supply out.

You should not need to buy any adapter of any kind. It would just be a waste of money. HDMI has a Standard. That standard is on your graphics card. HDMI 2.1 can do 120fps at 4k, 240fps at 2K. DisplayPort has a Standard. That standard is on your graphics card. DP 1.4 can do UP TO 144fps at 4K, 280fps at 2K.

Your Monitor can do UP TO a DisplayPort 1.2a Standard.
Your Monitor can do UP TO a HDMI 2.0b Standard.
DisplayPort 1.2a is 165fps at 2K
HDMI 2.0b does 144fps at 2K

These are the things your monitor CAN do. But if you're gpu is HDMI 1.4 standard it won't do you much good. Make sure all 3 LINKS in the chain are compatible. Make sure GPU is DP 1.2a at least. Make sure your DP cable is 1.2a at least. Make sure your monitor is 1.2a at least. If you want the DP 1.2a experience. If you lower any of those 3 things, the whole link lowers with it. If you are using a 1.1 DP cable, you will get a 1.1 experience.

I know you want your new monitor to perform its best. But as far as I can tell, no one knows for sure why the white light comes on and stays on. Often everything else works fine, just the light stays on.

If you try all the above and still get no relief, I would suggest just 2 options. One: You just get used to having the annoyingly bright light on and play the hell out of your setup and don't care what your motherboard says. Or Two: You just use the HDMI and do not worry about the extra 25 fps that your eye won't miss anyway, because 144 is frickin fast enough. It's up to you. I own a 2K 165fps myself. But I hardly ever turn it up to 165. I keep it on 120 just to be easier on the monitor and the machine that runs it. But it's all personal preference. I hope you have good luck with it.

Thank you so much for the help bro the guy on other forum said the same thing that i should try out other DP and plug out the DP cable and plug it back and it fixed the issue.
Your answer regarding the issue is admirable and gave the perfect response to the issue.
Thank fully the annoying white light is gone after i did what you and the guy said on the other forum
Thank you once again