Constantly blinking hourglass cursor...but nothing is running!

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Hi -- son's gaming pc. Windows 10. New issue of a constantly blinking hourglass near the cursor (unless you hover over a link or something, then it vanishes until you move the mouse away again.) Gamdias gaming USB mouse. I ran anti virus, malwarebytes, etc. Went to task manager and stopped things (wasn't much showing using the CPU at all... 'system idle' was highest most often. Ended one or two others that were there.) Still the hourglass suggesting something is running, or hung or something. Closed every application...Steam, Skype, Chrome, etc. So now there's nothing running on the desktop, cannot find anything using the CPU majorly in task manager. Totally stumped why this is happening...?? Oh, it's also not that the pointer option is the one with the hourglass. There's obvious reason why this is there...Searched forums and the web, but cannot find anything to do that we haven't done. What am I missing?

Solution
A couple things.

1.) What is the mouse's USB polling rate set at? If it's too high for the rest of the PC to cope with, it'll endlessly task the CPU with something it was not meant to do.

2.) Malware/virus?

3.) Download and install CCleaner, then run the regular cleaner and the registry cleaner. Reboot.

4.) Defrag the hard drive(s) and trim the SSD. Can be done through the built in windows disk cleanup utility by "optimizing" everything.

Now does it still do that?

amtseung

Distinguished
A couple things.

1.) What is the mouse's USB polling rate set at? If it's too high for the rest of the PC to cope with, it'll endlessly task the CPU with something it was not meant to do.

2.) Malware/virus?

3.) Download and install CCleaner, then run the regular cleaner and the registry cleaner. Reboot.

4.) Defrag the hard drive(s) and trim the SSD. Can be done through the built in windows disk cleanup utility by "optimizing" everything.

Now does it still do that?

Solution

mellex

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

We ran CCCleaner and malwarebytes. We will defrag, and look into the optimizing. I don't know how to set the mouse polling rate...I'll look into that as well. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS