Question Constantly dropping internet connection, tried everything

Jun 20, 2019
Okay, I just signed up here because I've given up hope of this ever being solved.
I've tried just about everything and nothing has fixed it.

This has a slight bit of backstory actually;
Months ago I had my internet working fine.
I got 2 new wifi adapters since my old one (plug-and-play usb w/no antenna) had slowed down to 2mb/s connection and died.
So I got my new adapters, a wireless USB adapter w/antenna built for dual-band connection, I bought two just in case.
I plugged one in, installed the drivers from the CD that came with it and it was fine.
10-15mb/s internet, everything was perfect. I could work, I could play games and it was okay.

Recently my PC died/refused to boot.
I later found out it was because of a corrupt bootres.dll.
I fixed my PC and reset it, choosing to keep my files.

I re-install my network adapter via the CD, plug it in.
Every 5-10 minutes I get cut off. The dreaded yellow triangle shows up and the state of my internet switches to "no internet"
Every other device on this network has no issues, only mine.
There are only 3 devices on this network at a time and majority of the time it's just mine.

I'll list some things I've spent the past week trying, to no avail;
Complete network reset via settings in windows (before and after everything else)
Every netshell and ipconfig command you can throw at me
Reinstalled the device numerous times
Installed multiple realtek wireless (and even wired) drivers thinking it would help and then uninstalled everything and re-installed the base drivers
Changed power profile options to prefer maximum performance
Disabled "allow the pc to turn off this device" under device properties (after every clean reinstall)
Switched the first usb for the second backup I bought, changed nothing
Closed, re-opened/restarted the realtek wifi lan utility
Tested the connection with the lan utility closed and open, neither were any different
Disabled ethernet connection, no change, re-installed ethernet, no change
Disabled firewall
Enabled the ports for everything required
Did every reset my router control panel has in it

I recently installed some drivers
and despite it being the same things I tried before, I can actually hold a connection now for a while (didn't test the time inbetween d/c's)
but it appears to be around 20-30 minutes yet I continue to get disconnected.

I ran MiniToolBox, selected all boxes and hit go
The only issue I see among the logged info is within the system event log:

System errors:
=============
Error: (06/20/2019 07:34:30 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Realtek DHCP Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:46 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )
Description: Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC : Could not find a network adapter.

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:45 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )
Description: Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC : Could not find a network adapter.

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:45 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )
Description: Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:42 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:37 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:26 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )
Description: Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

Error: (06/20/2019 12:14:23 AM) (Source: RtlWlanu) (User: )

There was also this:

Pinging google.com [2607:f8b0:4009:80e::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4009:80e::200e: time=44ms
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4009:80e::200e:
Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 1, Lost = 1 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 44ms
Server: dns-cac-lb-03.rr.com

Some specs:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (X64)
Model: MS-7641 Manufacturer: MSI
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
ISP is Spectrum/Charter
8GB RAM
3 System fans, 1 water-cooling unit
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller = Ethernet (Disconnected)
Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC = Wi-Fi (Connected)
The brand of wifi adapter is TechKey AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Adapter
My PC didn't come with a wifi card installed, so this is my only way of getting internet

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it, I need the internet for the work I do and since cannot access internet.
Even when I'm gaming or watching youtube, I get kicked off of the game or my videos stop loading and I have to re-connect.

supertaco0

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Does your connection return on its own? I have this same device and it will frequently lose connection to the internet, my temporary solution has been to just open the wifi menu and click disconnect then reconnect which brings the connection. Also looking for a solution before I ditch this adapter and try a new one

Jul 21, 2020
I think I fixed it. I have the same device and I've been dealing with getting kicked off for a few months. No time to replace it. Ugh.

Lately, it has become much worse. I downloaded the latest driver from Realtek, changed the USB port it was plugged in to, and restarted the computer many times. It kept getting worse and happening more often.

I then ran a troubleshoot on My windows 10 machine and under settings > Network & Internet > Troubleshoot. It reset the device and reported that the IP address was incorrect and it fixed it. It seems to have done the job.

Hope that helps.
Fingers crossed.

Jul 21, 2020
Correction. The trouble shooter fix I reported in the last reply, I believe, was a coincidence. It started disconnecting from WiFi randomly this morning. I think it has to do with the number of devices connected to my home network. I asked my kids to shut down their devices and it reconnected the minute they turned them off and it's stayed on ever since. I'll try to access the router settings later to see if I have a limit on the number of devices allowed over WiFi.