Constantly Having to Reapply Thermal Paste!

PhuchxpH

Prominent
May 14, 2017
For the past month I've been having a very strange issue. Every 3-5 days I have to reapply my thermal paste. It's quite difficult to describe, so I'll add a link to a picture.

I have not overclocked.
I've tried three different brands of paste.
I've tried spreading the paste in as many different ways as possible. (Pea, X, spread it with the spoon like thing that comes with the paste)

I had my chip for 5 months before this started happening and I haven't done anything to my cpu to cause it.

Fresh coat of paste and I'm getting around 50-55c under load. After a couple of days I'm getting to 60c AT IDLE! It's at this point that I change out my paste.

If anyone has experienced this or has any idea what could be the issue, please share your experiences. For anyone that's read this, thank you!

CPU: i7-5820k

A picture of what the chip looks like after a couple of days.
https://gyazo.com/13850b4be21b222f689a52ee12a1d150

PhuchxpH

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Yes, I have to unhook everything when changing my paste. What makes you think the pump going bad would cause a perfect square to form on the CPU? My temps are great for the first day after applying paste and then it's a gradual process.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just confused by it lol.

PhuchxpH

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Hopefully my reply didn't come off as prick-ish lol. It wasn't my intent.

If youve tried changing the paste that much and are still having issues chances are its not the problem.
I would tend to agree the next thing to check would be the pump. When the system is running can you feel the hoses/waterblock vibrate like its running? After a few minutes/hours is one tube warmer than the other? What speed are your fans running at?

PhuchxpH

Prominent
May 14, 2017

I haven't full on inspected my pump (sat quietly and listened to it) but Corsair Link never shows it having any issues as far as not running. I would imagine if the pump was going in and out, then I'd have random spikes in temps, yeah? If so, that's not been an issue. My temps are pretty stable. As for my fans, it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just browsing the internet or watching a Youtube video, then they run between 900-1200rpm. I have a fan profile set up for them.

It might not be the pump going in and out, but continuously going bad (hence the constant poor temps).
Corsair link only reports what the units motor is doing, a broken or loose impeller would still show up as working properly.

PhuchxpH

Prominent
May 14, 2017

I've had a couple people suggest it's the h100, so I'll look into RMA'ing if they'll let me. Thanks for taking the time to reply!