[SOLVED] Constantly having to 'Troubleshoot' to reconnect to internet?

Therow

Commendable
May 19, 2021
Recently where I live Xfinity (aka Comcast) did some maintenance in our area and the internet went down for a few hours.

I noticed that my PC reconnected automatically but my wife's PC was taking a little while to connect so I informed here that she could use the 'Troubleshoot Problems' prompt by right-clicking the network icon in the system tray. This worked fine and all was well.

Fast-Forward a week or two. Every single day she has to utilize the troubleshoot option to connect to the internet. Something isn't right here and I'm not quite sure how to diagnose what the problem is.

If anyone else has experienced something similar or might have a few things for me to test that'd be so helpful!

Windows 10 by the way. I also did try to google how to fix this but... maybe I was looking up the error incorrectly because I was unable to find this exact issue.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Solution
unknown.png

If there is anything in this picture I should not have obscured please let me know and I'll go back into paint and make sure the information is available in the following posts.

I really appreciate the help!
OK. That is exactly what I would have expected. DHCP is not responding. You have DHCP enabled, but you didn't get a response. The IPv4 address of 169.254.x.y is the IP address that Windows creates when it doesn't get a DHCP response. There are a number of possible causes. But, if this is the ONLY device having the problem it is probably not a router problem.
I would look at getting a portable...

kanewolf

Titan
Recently where I live Xfinity (aka Comcast) did some maintenance in our area and the internet went down for a few hours.

I noticed that my PC reconnected automatically but my wife's PC was taking a little while to connect so I informed here that she could use the 'Troubleshoot Problems' prompt by right-clicking the network icon in the system tray. This worked fine and all was well.

Fast-Forward a week or two. Every single day she has to utilize the troubleshoot option to connect to the internet. Something isn't right here and I'm not quite sure how to diagnose what the problem is.

If anyone else has experienced something similar or might have a few things for me to test that'd be so helpful!

Windows 10 by the way. I also did try to google how to fix this but... maybe I was looking up the error incorrectly because I was unable to find this exact issue.

Thanks everyone!
Is the problematic PC using WIFI or a wired connection?

kanewolf

Titan
Wired Ethernet through Cat6e.
OK. Is this a simple short cable or something with in-wall cabling?
Is the adapter set to "Auto" for speed and duplex ?
Your symptom seems like a slow (or wrong) DHCP.
When this happens next time. Instead of "fixing it" open a CMD.EXE window and run ipconfig.exe /all
Post the results. That will help provide technical insights into the problem.

Therow

Commendable
May 19, 2021
When this happens next time. Instead of "fixing it" open a CMD.EXE window and run ipconfig.exe /all

I'll do this when next available and get back with this Thread! Thanks so much.

Therow

Commendable
May 19, 2021

So I have the results from the ipconfig /all but this also includes information like physical address and other (what I would assume to be) sensitive information. Do you know which of these I should edit out of the soon-to-be posted screenshot?

kanewolf

Titan
So I have the results from the ipconfig /all but this also includes information like physical address and other (what I would assume to be) sensitive information. Do you know which of these I should edit out of the soon-to-be posted screenshot?
Any IP addresses that start with 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z or 169.254.x.y are not sensitive.
Other things like MAC addresses or host name could be obscured without deminishing the info.

Therow

Commendable
May 19, 2021
unknown.png

If there is anything in this picture I should not have obscured please let me know and I'll go back into paint and make sure the information is available in the following posts.

kanewolf

Titan
unknown.png

OK. That is exactly what I would have expected. DHCP is not responding. You have DHCP enabled, but you didn't get a response. The IPv4 address of 169.254.x.y is the IP address that Windows creates when it doesn't get a DHCP response. There are a number of possible causes. But, if this is the ONLY device having the problem it is probably not a router problem.
I would look at getting a portable Linux OS on a USB drive and booting that. See if it has a similar problem. If it DOESN'T them it is probably a Windows problem.
If the Linux OS has a problem then it is more likely a hardware problem.

It looks like there are a couple of VPN or other software packages (ZScaler and Check Point) on that PC. Those could be causing the problem.

Solution